Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 subaru rx turbo idle problems

So i am new to the forum and i just bought this car. I hope that this isnt a repeat thread but, so the car idles fine when its cold and then as soon as it warms up 75% of the time when stopping at a stop sign or light it wont idle and dies. I dont know if it matters but it doesnt have a muffler on it. I also just gave it a tune up new plugs, wires, cap,rotor etc... Any help would be great thanks guys.

So i am new to the forum and i just bought this car. I hope that this isnt a repeat thread but, so the car idles fine when its cold and then as soon as it warms up 75% of the time when stopping at a stop sign or light it wont idle and dies. I dont know if it matters but it doesnt have a muffler on it. I also just gave it a tune up new plugs, wires, cap,rotor etc... Any help would be great thanks guys.

Look for vacuum leaks, Ignition timing is important, be sure to set it with the test coccectors connected. also check the airthing on top of thermostat outlet is working. a bad o2 sensor can cause rich mixture. bad egr can upset idle.

so i checked the ecu and it showed up code 31 which is the throttle position sensor. Correct? so that shouldbe the problem right?

Sounds like the idle switch inside the TPS is either malfunctioning or improperly adjusted. Try adjusting the sensor and if that doesn't work get another one from the junk yard. You'll need one from an EA82 Turbo car - probably an '87-'90 with the hot-wire MAF. I don't know if the '85/'86 TPS is the same but probably not.

GD