Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got the Wrong Size Tires - Sams Club

My 99 Outback needed tires, so after much research & thought, I decided to go for the Michelin X Radials at Sams Club (also sold at Costco). The $60 instant rebate helped me make a decision. The P205/70/15 size had to be ordered. When they came in, I had my wife get them installed. Today when I was checking the air pressure, I noticed they were the Smaller P205/60/15 and not the size I ordered and my wife paid for.

These tires are only 24.5" in diameter - 1.6" smaller than the stock P205/70/15 which are 26.1" in diameter. I know the odometer will be off 6 percent with these smaller tires. Will these smaller tires screw up the ABS?

Any other problems with keeping these smaller P205/60/15 tires?

I do plan on demanding compensation $ from Sams for their employee's mistake.

I agree, get them to put the proper tires put on. You ordered a specific size and they didn' t deliver them. They can't tell you if it will change the handling of the car or increase your stopping distances.

I know Costco will not put any size other than the manufacturer's recommended size. I can't get tires there for our MY97 Legacy wagon because I have 16" WRX wheels and SOA recommends only 2 sizes on 14" or 15" wheels.

In the days of $4.00 a gallon of gas, every little bit helps. Smaller tires are like an increase in the final drive ratio which is less MPG (although it's probably not much).

Higher RPM's on the highway, lower mpg, might ride a little harder with shorter sidewalls, plus they must look kind of small on an outback. It's not the end of the world, but I'd just go back and make them put the right size on.

I agree, its not what you ordered.

Another reason to avoid walmart and its associates

The receipt is for the P205/70/15 that I wanted. Strange thing is that Sams charges $20 more per tire for the smaller P205/60/15. Go figure.

Do you mean P215/70/15??? If so, take them back for the right ones.

Sorry, just noticed it was the 60 vs 70. Still take'm back!!!

Edited by chef_tim

I agree, get them to put the proper tires put on. You ordered a specific size and they didn' t deliver them. They can't tell you if it will change the handling of the car or increase your stopping distances.

I know Costco will not put any size other than the manufacturer's recommended size. I can't get tires there for our MY97 Legacy wagon because I have 16" WRX wheels and SOA recommends only 2 sizes on 14" or 15" wheels.

In the days of $4.00 a gallon of gas, every little bit helps. Smaller tires are like an increase in the final drive ratio which is less MPG (although it's probably not much).

16 WRX rims fit on the OBW, you do not have any tire rub?

16 WRX rims fit on the OBW, you do not have any tire rub?

They are currently on a MY07 Legacy L Wagon not an OB and I took them off the wrecked MY05 Legacy L sedan I sold to you (that's why you got it with 4 donut spares). Never had a rub on either car.

They are stock WRX wheels off a MY02 with 205/55-16 tires.

That sounds about right I got some tires fitted there the other day and it was a total mess. I had to get the supervisor out so they would do the job since I didn't buy the tires there. Then they took about 40mins to write me a reciept.

Driving back the car felt realy weird. I checked the pressures and they put 50psi in the front right, 45psi in the right rear and 32psi in the left side!

The car runs 205/55/16 at the front and 225/50/16 at the rear. My friend got his done at walmart and they stretched one of the fronts on the rear and put a rear on the front!

Everyone else around here quotes $100+ to mount and balance new tires but I am beginning to think it might be worth it!

I buy a lot from Walmart because their prices are low, but draw the line on using their automotive service department. Just getting a flat repaired there on my Subie was a Chinese fire drill in dealing with inept employees. A stupid manager ordering dumb people around is a sure fire formula for getting bad work done on your car. IMO, they hire the dumbest people that couldn't hold a job in a good tire store or oil change center, or be a mechanic anywhere else. My opinion is that this happens on a national scale with Walmart. When I had a card with Sam's Club, and bought tires there 15 years ago, their work was no better.

Take 'em back! If you're lucky, they'll give you a refund instead of making you wait before your real tires come in. Take that refund and RUN to another tire seller. Especially the refund for the more expensive tires if they make you wait! Don't let them try the old 'store credit' bit for THEIR mistake.

If you're close to a Costco, go there. I've been running nothing but Costco tires (well, bought/installed/rotated at Costco, they sell other brands) for over 17 years, and never ever had a problem! You'll save money in the long run, which makes the Costco fee worth it.

I won't shop at Sam's, let alone a WallyWorld, unless I can't get whatever-it-is somewhere else. Their people are clueless. At least Costco trains their tire people. I think Wal-Mart just throws them in the department if they know what end of a car to point into the service bays. I know someone who works for a Wal-Mart. This person stated 'Training? You're joking, right?' I don't think this management-level person was joking. From what I've personally seen, they'll hire anyone.

(That said, some might remember I'm running non-chainable tires on Dragon. That was MY fault; they wanted to sell me the smaller tires which were compatible with chains, but I opted for the larger ones which were the same size as those already on my car when I bought her. My bad. I then had to buy snows. $$$ mistake on my :rolleyes: part, not Costco's.)