Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What distributor?

Hi,

I've been lurking here for a while ever since I bought my 82 brat a few weeks ago.

Found a cherry GL up in LA with close to no rust, just a little by the passenger door hinge. i picked the thing up and as soon as I drove it a few hundred miles it started missfiring and the tach would jump around. Took the disty cap off to find the points hacked up by the rotor. the rotor itself had a tremendous amount of slop in it and would bounce around.

My question is what distributor came in the early 80s GL 4x4. (EA81)?

I find the Hitachi and Nippondenso remans for sale but I have been reading on here that if you mix the two its bad juju.

I cant seem to read the stamp on the original on the car and I dont want to pull it unitl I have a new one in hand.

please help

well I got the Hitachi distributor, turns out I have the ND coil and disty. So I put the new disty in since the old one was done and could not be salvaged, got the hitachi cap and rotor but still have the ND coil I only discovered this after scraping some paint off the coil to reveal the label. Had to modify the coil leads to fit the hitachi disty. I need to start looking for a Hitachi coil now.

You need not have bought a new distributor - they can be rebuilt. A used one that's rebuildable generally runs about $25. I usually have a few sitting around.

These guys do all my distributor work. Usually runs about $75 to $100 to have one completely gone through.

http://www.philbingroup.com/

For the coil buy one from the dealer. You are almost certain to get the wrong one if you go to any other parts source or aftermarket. You don't want to damage the ignitor - trust me.

GD