Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1st time Subaru - Which one should I get (BOTH PRE-1986!!!)

All I got to say about Loyales, and EA82's and EJ's in general, is two words. Timing Belts. Beware!

True but dont forget EA82s and early EJs are non-interference so timing belts are not a huge deal.I think just about everyone here would recommend putting new ones on right away regardless...Its not a hard job...couple hours...plenty of write ups on the4 board on how to do it too.

HELP ME FIGURE THIS ISSUE OUT???

Okay so I went and have looked at ALL the vehicles...

I think I want to go with the 1985 5 Speed NON-Turbo. It is the cleanest and looks well taken care of...

Couple of issues though -

IT WOULDN'T START ! I had a friend go check it out last Wednesday and he drove it all over town -- said the thing had plenty of power for our hills... I went late last night to check it out and potentially buy it but it wouldn't start.

I had a mechanic buddy with me (works on tractors/loaders so not really a car mechanic but he knows his stuff) Took him 5 minutes to figure out the throttle was stuck WIDE OPEN. The linkage on the carb was sticking to a hose of some sort... After we got that closed and back to normal the car wouldn't start - we figured it was flooded so we waited about 20mins and tried it again.

THIS TIME IT FIRED UP but died immediatley. We waited another 5 mins and started it again -- it fired up ran for 10 secs and died.

He then pulled the air cleneaner off, popped open the choke plate just a little and I started it and it ran fine, I had to feather the throttle to keep it going.

THIS WAS NOT AN ISSUE LAST WEDNESDAY WHEN MY BUDDY CRUISED AROUND IN IT... He said it drove great.

IT DOES SOUND REALLY HEALTHY WHEN IT WAS RUNNING... It sounds like a 4stroke dirtbike! Has a real throaty sound to it. Unfortunatley I didn't get to drive it around anywhere.

The owner says he is willing to work on the price so I figure I should buy it and see if I can fix it myself. For $300-400 I am willing to take the risk.

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK? Sound like an easy fix? maybe clean/disassemble the carb and replace sparkplugs filters - AND DEFINITLEY THE BELTS!

in my opinion the dying of the 5 speed carbed one is likely the original carb. They tend to be neglected and (in my opinion) are best to be swapped to a weber 32/36 DFEV carb. There is NO WAY you would ever pass CA smog with a weber because lots of stuff is removed. But since you say you can smog once and then modify.... thats what I suggest... smog it, then weber it. Yes it wont be super fast, but it will be reliable. Both cars will have around 90 HP (a webered 85 or a turbo 84)

I love my 84 Turbo cars but they are a lot of work.

If this is your first Subaru maybe you should consider a Legacy wagon of the 90-94 Era. IMO best car for the buck. Just skip the turbo and the auto and it should be solid and not cost ya too much to keep going.

I would buy the 84 Turbo wagon and the 85 Carb car and take the trans out of the carb car along with the pedals, etc and convert it. You do need a driveshaft made and Jerrys shifter kit but in the end that car would be super reliable, fuel injected, plenty of power, etc.

But in the end its more work than a Legacy, less power, less reliable and not as resellable. And emissions....

But this is what I would do, not what I would recommend somebody else do. Im a 10 year member of this board and a Subaru technician. Not that these credentials are required to do it but for your first Subie I wouldnt dare suggest that sort of conversion.

• 1 year later...

I used to have a 80 4wd subie that I drove over Donner pass all the time never had a issue with power we were always passing people.. .so I think that is a personal opinion. The manual is great as you can downshift and not ride the brake on steep hills... preference. I also could go anywhere with it was awsome in the snow even when the 4WD popped out of gear (tranny was going so you had to HOLD it in gear in 4WD) HAd relations in Reno and we lived in Grass Valley. Loved that car (hope she is still on the road down there somewhere)

I would go with the stick, more get up and go (and that engine is going to need all that it can get), I wouldn't recommend a turbo unless it was maintained to OEM specs.

I noticed every other car on craigs list says it was JUST rebuilt.... yea that's why they are selling it after just rebuilding it. Ask for receipts for the seals, rings, belts, etc. If they cant produce the documentation I would not consider it rebuilt and negotiate accordingly.

One a lighter note, subies are great snow cars. I had my loyale out last year when we had the "day after tomorrow" style snow storm, no one else was out on the road, good times!

I used to have a 80 4wd subie that I drove over Donner pass all the time never had a issue with power we were always passing people.. .so I think that is a personal opinion. The manual is great as you can downshift and not ride the brake on steep hills... preference. I also could go anywhere with it was awsome in the snow even when the 4WD popped out of gear (tranny was going so you had to HOLD it in gear in 4WD) HAd relations in Reno and we lived in Grass Valley. Loved that car (hope she is still on the road down there somewhere)

I would go with the stick, more get up and go (and that engine is going to need all that it can get), I wouldn't recommend a turbo unless it was maintained to OEM specs.

Did you check the date of the original posting? Over a year old... just sayin.