Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My first Subaru and off road car haha

89subiext

Well i picked it up for $300 running on 2 cylinders it was the crappy wiring subaru did witch corroded under the passanger seat.

PICT0096.jpg

PICT0097.jpg

And i had it on a little hill

PICT0102.jpg

And in a hole wich i almost got stuck in (darn not posi)

PICT0101.jpg

NOW ILL TELL YOU MY PLANS

swap doors and fender with my good ones

dual range 5-speed- own

possable engine swap

Lift- homemade or bought 6+ inches

rims and tires

posi front and rear

GIVE ME MORE IDEAS!!!

Edited by 89subiext

Sweet, when you figure it out let us know. There are a ton of veteran Subaru off-roaders here who have been wheelin, lifting, and modifying these cars for years and are still trying to figure out a way to lock the front diff.

You can weld it, just hope you dont plan on turning left or right anymore :)

Yeah i dont know exactly but i was told there is a way, if i find anything out ill let you know.

Gonna have some fun with that. :burnout:

Could there be a front LSD that would fit the front?

Guru's will have to inform.

Welding would take your steering into the near nonexistent realm.

And most likely be real hard on the axles.

I have seen some Honda kids with welded diffs. But not real sure on how nasty it actually was to drive.

I say go for the rear welded first and try it for awhile. I'm certain you'll be quite impressed. :grin:

(I was)

Im not planning on welding the rear dif im gonna get a 3.90 posi

I think what he is trying to say is that with big tires the lsd will slip it is after all a LIMITED slip differential so with a a lot of force, like big tires will give, it might slip more than actually work. So welded might be the way to go if you plan on wheeling it a :)lot!

Would love to see how you plan on putting a "posi" in the front.

Will definatly look cool lifted though!

Good o' mudrat put a phantom grip I believe in the front of the lifted ranger that had a dual range in it and also tried selling d/r trans with posi front diffs (phantom grip). I also believe the WJM found that all the front diffs were basically the same so anything that works in a wrx or such would work for our old dual ranges. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49241&highlight=front

I could be wrong though and this information could be bad, sorry if it is.

Zap is right on the Welded diff. Having run large tires and a limited slip unit. You really limit where you can go once one rear tires starts to slip. Some have thought about putting a turning brake on the rears but I haven't seen/heard about good results there either.

Edited by Knichol

Good o' mudrat put a phantom grip I believe in the front of the lifted ranger that had a dual range in it and also tried selling d/r trans with posi front diffs (phantom grip). I also believe the WJM found that all the front diffs were basically the same so anything that works in a wrx or such would work for our old dual ranges. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49241&highlight=front

I could be wrong though and this information could be bad, sorry if it is.

Zap is right on the Welded diff. Having run large tires and a limited slip unit. You really limit where you can go once one rear tires starts to slip. Some have thought about putting a turning brake on the rears but I haven't seen/heard about good results there either.

I spoke with john about the phantom grip in the front diff and he did say its not as easy as just putting it in, some mods need to be done but once completed it works great but I would recommend having a great deal of knowledge about the tranny before tearing into it!!

I spoke with john about the phantom grip in the front diff and he did say its not as easy as just putting it in, some mods need to be done but once completed it works great but I would recommend having a great deal of knowledge about the tranny before tearing into it!!

John told me the same thing and it may be true, but when he first told about it he said it was kinda secret how he didn't want others finding out. He then went on to say it and was very difficult and thats why I should hire his services. Then I find out that the new and old front diffs are the same and they make them that fit right in, so know knows... :-\

Back to topic of thread... I have drove a welded diff for quite a bit on street and off. turning sharp you will end up churping tires and if your get into a muddy/snowy situation it tends to push you straight. The LSD works well until you get difference in grip. These LSD's are not as strong grip wise as the ones you maybe used to in american muscle cars or pickups.

John told me the same thing and it may be true, but when he first told about it he said it was kinda secret how he didn't want others finding out. He then went on to say it and was very difficult and thats why I should hire his services. Then I find out that the new and old front diffs are the same and they make them that fit right in, so know knows... :-\

Back to topic of thread... I have drove a welded diff for quite a bit on street and off. turning sharp you will end up churping tires and if your get into a muddy/snowy situation it tends to push you straight. The LSD works well until you get difference in grip. These LSD's are not as strong grip wise as the ones you maybe used to in american muscle cars or pickups.

I second that as well!