Ultimate Subaru Message Board

electrical - radio stays on after car shuts of

in my 1997 legacy L

my radio stays on after the car is shut off and the key is out.

the panel that shows the time stays lit and shows the time even after i leave.

i dont recal ever seeing that.. and if i turn the knob, the radio will play music. the lights that are backlit from the headlights being on dont stay on though.

it is ONLY the clock and radio that are functional.

im in rochester now and its kinda cold.. so i pulled the fuse on the radio till someone has an idea of why...

the only wiring i have personally done is a hardwired valentine one radar detector.. and thats tapped into the light switch...

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I've hardwired EVERY stereo I've had in EVERY car I've owned and loved it. I would assume the PO did the same with yours:confused:. Did it always do this or just recently. You can leave the fuse in as long as you remember to turn the radio "off" after. The clock shouldn't be all that much of a drain on the battery. Don't quote but 9 out of 10 times the radio and the clock are on the same fuse and someone bypassed the ignition switch and hardwired it. OR, you could have a wonderful electrical gremlin to hunt down. Good luck either way and let us know what it was.

Edited by newsoobdude

I wonder if this is a fault with the ignition key/switch?

Perhaps the switch is staying in the ACC position, instead of turning to OFF?

The radio typically is energised when the ignition key is in the ACC position.

Are there any other electrical components staying on (when they should be OFF) with the key out?

You might test:

- windshield wipers;

- power windows;

- power mirrors;

- cigarette lighter;

- seat heaters.

Some of these might normally be energised with the key at ACC, but should denergise at OFF.

BTW, I assume that your radio only stays on (with the key out) when it was already switched on before the key was removed.

I've hardwired EVERY stereo I've had in EVERY car I've owned and loved it. I would assume the PO did the same with yours:confused:. Did it always do this or just recently. You can leave the fuse in as long as you remember to turn the radio "off" after. The clock shouldn't be all that much of a drain on the battery. Don't quote but 9 out of 10 times the radio and the clock are on the same fuse and someone bypassed the ignition switch and hardwired it. OR, you could have a wonderful electrical gremlin to hunt down. Good luck either way and let us know what it was.

well the Previous owner was my sister.. and the person before her didnt have a clue how to do anything like this. im sure of it.

and the symptom JUST started happening like last night.......

ALSO, i noticed the wipers are still on standby when i shut the car off. if i turn the wipers off with the car of theyll sweep. even the washer fluid pump gets power. i didnt pull that fuse though cuz i figured if theyre not working its not pulling the power...

and its REALLY cold up here so id rather not have hte clock running.. itll still drain over time...

well yes the car is new to me... but ive driven it from california to new york.. so i got to know it quite quickly and ive had it for a month and a half or so...

now that i think of it.. my friend adjusted the mirrors while the car was off...

so right now.. the total number of things stuck on are the radio, wipers, washer fluid pump, and mirrors. the power windows dont function though..

and i had thought here was a faulty ignition switch as well..

and it makes sense since all of those things are on the first stop of the ignition switch anyway...

hmmmmmmmm... what should i do first?

BTW, I assume that your radio only stays on (with the key out) when it was already switched on before the key was removed.

i havent found out of the cigarette lighter works.. but no seat heaters..

and no, the assumption is wrong....

i can have the key out and toggle the radio knob and itll go on and off.. while the clock with backlight will stay light at all times..

its as if the key was at accesory.

Suspect your key ignition is the problem. Try this.........insert the key in the ignition, start the engine, turn on the radio, then rotate the key to turn the engine off. Before removing the key, wiggle the key in the key cylinder, and rotate just slightly up and down, as you are removing the key. If the radio turns on and off intermittantly upon doing this, then I would suspect an electrical short in your key ignition.

If so, replacing the key ignition should solve the problem.

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!

I FIGURED IT OUT!

man is it silly...

so a few days ago i realized i forgot the charger to my car jumper pack at home... ive been trying to charge the pack through the car..

and when i leave. i forget to unplug it cuz its normally an ipod transmitter anyway... so thats when the problem with the radio started..

i had been playing with the ignition switch and on and off and radio on and off and wipers... blah blah blah.

i then gave up and unpluged the charge pack cuz i was afraid it would pull power from the battery.....

it was then that i had my brainwave.. i realized the battery pack was powering the Accessory electronics..

i tested the theory and sure enough thats what happened...

SO, my problem was just me being forgetful... but thanks for all the suggestions! at least now.. i know what to do if that really was my problem...