Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 obw with p117 CD player quetions

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to get 80 min cd's to play in this player? If anyone had luck with a certain type of brand 80min cds to work. All my old burned Cds that are 74 mins work great. the only problem is I cannot find anyone that has 74 min cds. I am going to look online at different place might be able to find something.

Another question with this CD player. I saw that you have an option for a CD changer but does it have to be a Subaru one. Has anyone been able to put a name brand Player in? If so where is the connectors for it and how hard was it to install.

Thanks for any help you can give me with this problem.

Chris

• 5 years later...

Since its a Panasonic, you're unlikely to have much luck getting something to work other than the unit that its supposed to have. Panasonic has traditionally not been real good about setting and keeping standards. They seem to change their standards for things like this with about the same frequency as I change my underwear. It's possible, though.

If you can send me a pic of your radio, I'll look through the stack of old OEM radios at work and see if I can find one. I might also have a panasonic changer. I'll see if I can get them to work.

I have a 99 OBW, so I have the same Panasonic audio unit that you have. I don't think there is an option that an external CD changer can be added to the unit.

You might contact Crutchfield Inc, http://www.crutchfield.com/ to see what they have to fit a Subie. The tech guys there are really sharp to know what car stereo will fit what car. They are very helpful to talk with on the telephone.

Crutchfield says that a universal CD changer would work, but that kind of defeats the purpose of retaining the stock Panasonic indash unit, since those universal changers need a separate controller. The Panasonic CD changer that was an OEM option is Subaru Part # H6250AC510, but it more than likely can't play anything that baffles the P117 that controls it. Here's what a Panasonic P117 looks like:

l_a91c5336c5334b08aa0ae09822f1a773.jpg

Wonder why there are different part numbers for the CD magazines:

H6250AC530

H6240AS220 (CD magazine - GT LMTD)

Does this mean that there's another CD changer that's supposed to fit my '99 Limited? It's already got the subwoofer (H6300AS030) under the driver's seat, wonder if that makes any difference...

I have a very simple solution to this problem. I too wanted to be able to have more than one cd in the changer so I didn't have to fumble about with them while driving.

I went to a local shop and bought a nice Sony in dash radio/CD/MP3 radio. Since it plays MP3's I can now rip my CD's to my computer as MP3's and make an MP3 disc. I pop that into the CD player and voila, I have a CD with 10 or 11 CD's on it. I can now drive for 10 hours with only one CD in the player and I can jump from artist to artist just like I had 10 CD's in a changer.

Not only is this more convenient, I don't have to have my original CD's in the car to get stolen or ruined. Presently, I carry three MP3 CD's that have 30 CD's recorded on them. The sound is much better with the aftermarket unit as well.

The only thing you will need to install the palyer is a wiring harness adapter for a subaru. Best Buy has them for 20.00. If you can't find one, let me know and I can sell you one that I have. Once you have that, installation is "plug and play".

Hope this helps.

Well, sure we could replace our indash units, but where's the challenge in that? I've already got an easier way to play mp3 tunes in the car ~ I've got a 4GB chip in my cell phone, and with my Motorola Motorokr I can play whatever's stored on my phone through my car stereo via Bluetooth to the Motorokr then via FM to the P117. Very slick & easy, but I'd still like to add a CD changer to my existing system.

moto.jpg

via FM to the P117.

That kinda defeats the purpose of digital music, no? Why not get the aftermarket with a changer? Then you could have like 210 CDs ripped to MP3! Or, if you're hellbent on keeping the factory, get the in-dash 6 disc changer like I have in my '02. Heck, if the price is right, I'll sell you mine!:banana:

• 4 weeks later...
I have a very simple solution to this problem. I too wanted to be able to have more than one cd in the changer so I didn't have to fumble about with them while driving.

I went to a local shop and bought a nice Sony in dash radio/CD/MP3 radio.

That's what I did, and that's what got my car broken into. Unfortunately, they couldn't get the stereo out of the dash and ended up bending the stereo frame and cracking the faceplate support, rendering the unit useless. And no, the faceplate wasn't in the car, they can get replacement faceplates easily enough that it doesn't matter. $300 stereo, $150 window, 1 day off work to go to the junkyard for a used window and install the window (and just my luck it was raining), $50 for the console plastic and cupholder they ripped out.

So I put the stock radio back in and wired the AUX port for an iPod. $30 for the DIN plug, wires, jack, a switch to enable the AUX port... and the security of knowing that thieves won't see anything worth breaking in for.

I just picked up a '99 SUS, and am looking to wire the iPod to the AUX port. I happened to be in CC today and saw a bunch of random harness adapters, and was looking to see if anything might fit the AUX port. Yeah, I know I can buy two molex adapters, but if there's an adapter that might be close I'll give it a try. Just looking at the pictures by dpdemay to check the sizing of the port.