Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm back in the subie game!

Due to toe issues with the rear torsion bar I had to work on it.

Had huge toe out on the right wheel and toe in on the left. Also pretty bad positive camber.

, some welding and drilling fixed that.

83sedan_torsionbarmod1.jpg

83sedan_torsionbarmod2.jpg

83sedan_torsionbarmod3.jpg

83sedan_torsionbarmod4.jpg

Now a little toe in on both and only a tad positive camber.

Due to front fender running I had to do something. I started on making 50mm strut lift blocks for the front. The idea was to stop the struts going to far up that they hit the fender. When I went to try them they wouldn't fit, as in I couldn't get the knuckle low enough to get the strut back in. The driveshaft was over extending the DOJ, the steering had bottomed out the joint, and the rubber on the radius rod refused to move. This got me worried that there would be too much down travel because it would rip all the parts apart, mainly worried about the driveshaft (them being $44 S/H or $110 new).

So I measured the travel of the std 2WD shockers I have, 135mm, then I figured out the gap between the tyre and fender and the down travel I get. That being 40mm gap and 60mm down travel, so I needed to take 35mm off the fenders.

So off it comes...

This is the standard fender getting its first trim a while back (this picture was posted on a previous page).

83sedan_fendertrimming3.jpg

This is the next trimming that I calculated I needed if I got 4WD shockers and taller springs. But this would still be a problem because the travel would still go as high as the 2wd shock it would just sit higher to when on flat. You can see a line on the fender that follows on from the cut on the left there. Thats where I cut it off.

83sedan_fendertrimming4.jpg

And this is our final trim.

83sedan_fendertrimming5.jpg

It now lightly rubs on the battery tray/jack holder part of the inner guard when turned. But Roger says only by 5mm or so, nothing to worry about.

It also lightly rubs on the front of the rear tyres, needs a bit of hammering but won't be noticeable.

It needs some rubber flares, I'll get them soon.

Sitting pretty

83sedan_runningready.jpg

And what she's made for

83sedan_articulationtest1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...