Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Legacy Gt 2.5 radio interference

i have a 1997 Subaru Legacy gt 2.5 sedan. I have a factory am/FM cass. with CD player. When the car is off the radio plays fine but when the car is running it get interference in FM mode. i thought the radio was bad so i changed it with a nother factory radio with the same problem. The radion was fine untill the past week. Any clues on the problem?

thanks Joe

You can check to see if the alternator is causing the trouble. While the car is not running you can pull the connector from the back side of the alternator, that will disable it. Then start it up and see what happens. After the check turn the car off and replace the connector.

Alternator noise usually appears as a whinning sound in the audio and you can hear the RPM changes in the whine as the alternator changes speed. A bad antenna ground can cause this thing also.

You don't need to fool around if you have an alternator going out. It is cheaper just to replace in your driveway than to get 50 miles away from home and it break down on you. Then you have to pay for the tow home, then do your alternator change. They are not hard and I can change them on a Subaru in 5 minutes.

The problem you are having doesn't appear to be typical. Usually it is the AM section that picks up noise, not the FM section. This is due to the way the modulation design works. I wonder if something is wrong inside the radio. I suggest you check and see if the noise goes away if you disconnect the antenna. If the noise is still present then it is most likely due to a problem inside the radio. There possibly could be noise feeding into it through the power lead I suppose but that is fairly remote I would say.

• 2 months later...