Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all - posted recently regarding my 1998 Outback 2.5 having the beginnings of a HG problem titled "I think head gasket but symptoms don't support theory"

My plan is as follows:

I found a 2003 Limited with only 78k on it, and I need to move on it pronto. Dealer is asking 14,500. I am going to offer 12. Thoughts on the '03?

Once I have the car I am going to attempt to replace the headgaskets myself on the '98 and hopefully once resolved I will sell it. I could not in good conscience sell it with a sersious problem I am aware of.

Worst case it is a junker. Best case - well what do you guys think I could sell it for with 284km on it with new a new gasket kit installed?

As always thanks for your opinions. This is a fantastic resource.

Cheers to all.

I have mixed feelings about the 98. Me being me (and not a prospective buyer), I would not necessarily think that an owner-installed headgasket would be preferable to a known headgasket problem and a lower price.

I would think the average Joe/Jane would feel uncomfortable about a user-fix, and an enthusiast/tinkerer might rather do it her-/himself.

I did not read your other thread, so I don't know if the car is still (test-) driveable. If not, then the repair would probably be worth it just to prove the rest of the car.

if you're going to fix it, why not keep it a few years?

sell it fixed rather than broken if the time commitment is worth it to you. someone who knows how to fix these things can pick them up for super cheap (at least around here). a 98 OBW is hardly worth anything with a blown headgasket around my parts. a dime a dozen. i'd fix it if you want any money out of it, or at least figure out if the time spent is worth the return.

the 03...he doesn't "know" what the dealer paid, they make a TON of money off of used cars.

Not an answer to your question, but possibly an answer for your problem. http://moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=22005ave

I have used this product with great success, but I would by pas the heater core before using.

Good luck!

Do not put that in the radiator, it will not fix the problem. That is a block sealer used in race engines with copper head gaskets. It works fine for that and in situations where you have coolant getting somewhere where it should not be. In the subaru 2.5 you have exhaust gas getting into the coolant. No sealer on the market will fix that.

Why not just do the head gasket and drive the car? The mileage it has is no problem. You can always trade it in or sell it later. Throwing away a perfectly good car just because of a GASKET leak is terrible thinking and indicative of our throw-away society.

Do the head gasket yourself - borrow or rent a car for week while you do it. It's not difficult - these aren't swiss watches.

You don't need to spend $12,000 on a head gasket :rolleyes:

GD

After reading the comments I will skip the additive route - thanks.

Please let me be clear I have no intention of "throwing away" the car. My '98 has transmission issues as well. Runs well enough for now - but who knows when that will go. I suppose if you throw enough money into any car out there you can really keep it going indefinitely.

I am going to attempt to replace the gaskets myself once I have a replacement and then sell the vehicle. I think an 03 with only 78k on it is perhaps a good opportunity. If I had similar problems with the newer car I would feel better about sinking some money into it.

Thanks for all the responses.

I would use the 98 as a trade in on the 03, because I don't think it would be worth your time and money repairing head gaskets yourself. Figure what you want to offer on the 03, then subtract what you would want to sell the 98 for. Negotiate only from the net figure, otherwise you can easily loose track of how much you will be paying out of pocket on the deal. Don't be afraid to walk away from a deal that you think is too expensive. I always leave my name and number with the dealer salesman, and suggest they call, if they can come up with a better price. In this era of slow car sales, they will be calling you back.

Considering it would be a trade in, I would not give your opinion to the dealer as to the deficiencies of the 98. That is their job to figure out what your 98 is worth as a trade in to them. This is not unethical, as the dealer is not going to tell you the deficiencies on the 03, in trying to sell that car to you. Check Kelly or Edmunds for trade in value of your 98. Chances are the dealer will take your 98 trade in to a dealer only auction. Even if the dealer knew your 98 deficiencies, they would never be discussed at the auction. Doing biz with a dealer, it is always let the customer beware. I treat the dealer with the same courtesy.

I have seen some really nice 01-04 H6 Outbacks on e-bay for around the same price. I own a 01 and will have a hard time going back to the 4cyl engine. No timing belts to break, No head gasket problems. Just my opinion on this. I am not saying the 4cyl is garbage I just wanted to let you know whats out there.