Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Flexi-Film Get ready for winter!

Just passed the 3 year part of the warranty.

Been noticing how the drivers front seat legs were looking actively rusty around the edges.

Got some mercy service from my dealer even though I was a few weeks past 3 years.

What they did was paint the drivers side front stays and they used anti seize copper paste on new bolts.

What they didn't do was even look at the passenger side which was also rusting but not nearly as bad.

Also they didn't even clean the carpet. So they effectively replaced newly painted steel onto visibly salt caked carpet.

My next idea was to re-seat the chairs on a layer of copper paste .

I thought I could make them do it for me but they talked me out of it..

I guess it could be messy.

I have found some spray called Flexi- Film.

This stuff is like a sirupy version of silicone spray.

I have soaked the whole area down there and I believe that the carpet has soaked up the stuff too and will no longer attract salty water underneath.

Also now all the metal down their has a nice coating of a clear buttery film that doesn't seem to be going away.

Then I thought instead of regular silicone spray I might try flexi film on the window and door seals. You need to wipe it into the seals with a cloth soaked from the stuff.

Otherwise it appears as a foamy light brown.

I have to report excellent results. All the rubber on the car look and feel like new. This is amazing stuff!

In the past, I have had good results on rusted floor boards by paint brushing on fiber glass resin. Once applied on a clean surface, it seals out moisture, and stops rust dead in its tracks.

On rust holes in a floor board, I have applied layers of fiber glass matt to fill in the void. The resin stinks real bad for a few days, then the smell totally goes away. The strength of fiber glass matt is amazing. Once cured, you could pound on the finished patch with a hammar, and not damage it.