Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Preparing to replace timing belt on 2000 Forester

I have a 2000 Forester with an EJ25 and am preparing to replace the timing belt. I have seen postings applicable to this task (it appears to be a straight forward task) and have the shop manual on CD, but have a few additional questions:

1) What is the best way to bet Subaru parts at a discount? I live in Seattle ...

2) Is it a good idea to replace the water pump at the same time? The one currently on the car has never been replaced (not certain how long they typically last with this vehicle).

3) How about the tensioner. I believe it is hydraulic. Would it be prudent to replace it?

4) Do I need to be concerned regarding sprocket wear?

While I have the front of the engine opened up, I do intend to replace the seals.

Thanks,

Chris

there are several parts dealers on line,

www.subarupartsforyou.com

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

are 2 subaru parts dealers. some buy on ebay, some only buy oem.

as for replacing parts, you need to weigh the cost of the parts now, your money, and the labor to do the job again later. assuming you get a warning the parts going bad.

if the waterpump, tentioner or idlers go bad on the hiway, it will cause bent valves. which parts do you think will make it to the 200k, next?, belt change and is it worth the risk?

how long do you plan on keeping the car?

If it were my car:

Waterpump for sure.

Tensioner as well.

Other sprockets - not unless they make noise or have lots of play.

Seals - only if they show signs of seapage.

He is my list:

Cam and Crank seals for sure.

Waterpump for sure if next timing belt interval will be at more than 200k. Otherwise it could stay, if this is say the first belt replacement.

Tensioner only if defect noted.

Pulleys only if defect noted.

It's worth looking to see if any oil is weeping from behind the oil pump, and replacing the o-ring and tightening the backing plate if any leakage noted.

If you got money to spend, it would be ideal to do all of the above.

Thanks for the reply ...

We will probably keep the car another 100K. My tendency is to replace all related parts ... sounds like it is the correct approach in this case.

Chris, I've found the best deal on discounted OEM parts is Jason in Parts at what used to be Auburn Subaru. Same day shipping gets them to your door the next day. His number is 1-866-528-5282; tell him I said hello.

Closer to home is subiegal who works internet sales at Chaplin's. You won't go wrong with either one.

Timing belt was due around 100K; it's not likely that your water pump will last another 100K. The work involved to replace a water pump is almost the same so I'd replace it this time around.

Tensioner can be re-set if you're very slow in doing it. Jury is out on this; replacement is safer but I haven't seen any grief with a "re-done" tensioner. I haven't done any timing belts myself but I've "assisted" in a half dozen.

Idlers? If they make any noise at all when you spin them by hand, replace them. Same comment as above on whether they'll last another 100K miles.

Definitely use an OEM water pump (do the thermostat while your at it....also OEM) and an OEM timing belt. My preference on this is to go entirely OEM on all the parts you use for this job.

Give me a call; I think you still have my number.

Someone else hinted at this in an earlier post. If any of the parts fail while you're driving on the highway (or anywhere else for that matter) and cause the belt to break, you're engine will need some pretty expensive repairs (it IS an interference engine).

Edited by edrach

Not just the cam seals but the cam orings as well. Cam seals, orings, and crank seal.

Oil pump oring and tighten the rear backing plate screws.

Water pump and timing belt.

Get an ebay kit to replace all the pulleys and tensioners. I'd rather have all new than only replace the ones i think are bad now. 100k is a long time and the ebay kits are reasonable.

Thank you to everyone who responded.

I was not clear on the number of miles. This Forester has over 106K. It was due at 105K, so I need to get this done soon.

grossgary, I could not find an OEM timng belt kit on eBay, as I prefer to stick with OEM parts. Have you had success with non-OEM parts?

Ed, I'll call you soon.

I'll provide a summary on this thread of what I did to replace the belt once the task is finished (hopefully it will be helpful for the next person).

yes, i use the ebay kits almost every time.

it's not impossible for those pulleys to be from the OEM manufacturer, keeping in mind Subaru does not make pulleys. anyone know for sure out of curiosity? I'm still using them either way, but would be interesting to know.

i won't pay those amounts to Subaru and the friends and family cars i maintain aren't interested in all of that cost either. so, i'd rather have all new pulleys and tensioner rather than replace only the ones that seem noisy or rough now and hope the others make it to 210,000 miles.

Not just the cam seals but the cam orings as well. Cam seals, orings, and crank seal.

Oil pump oring and tighten the rear backing plate screws.

Water pump and timing belt.

Get an ebay kit to replace all the pulleys and tensioners. I'd rather have all new than only replace the ones i think are bad now. 100k is a long time and the ebay kits are reasonable.

This is a 2.5 SOHC (Phase II) engine. I do not believe cam o-rings are applicable to this engine.

I would be fine going with grossgary's suggestion for using one of the ebay kits. It looks like GMB, a Japanese bearing company and OEM supplier, provides the idlers for many, if not all, of those ebay kits.

OEM suppliers to Subaru for the idlers are NSK and Koyo, also both reputable bearing companies from Japan.

If you decide to go oem for some of the parts, Jason at Auburn Subaru (www.1stsubaruparts.com) gets my vote as well.

Here are my notes on the t-belt service I performed on my 99 Forester -- same engine as yours.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61525

Edited by hohieu

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am new to this page and out of deperation decided to start here. My Forester has 207000 miles on it and driving down the road at about 25 suddenly made a winding sound and nothing. I have worked on several fords, jeeps, and chevy's in my day but only have done few things with my subaru since I bought it 4 years ago. for the first year every 3 months we replaced the o2 censor on bank 2 until it was finaly resolved, about 80,000 miles ago a dealer in Grand Rapids MI tried to tell me the head gasket was blown and gave me a quote of a couple grand to fix to which I told him to do the warranty work on the o2 censor and give it back. Well needless to say I never touched or had any problems with the head gasket, do you think they were trying to bend me over?

Now after the car quit it turns over and sounds very funny, just like my jeep when it jumped time, with the jeep I kept turning it over relentlessly and for some strange reason it started and corrected the problem but I do not want to try this with my forester because I paid more than 500.00 for it and My wife needs it to take my son to school, can anyone please tell me if this sounds like a timing belt and if so is there a person close to Manitowoc, WI I can trust to do it for me?

yes, i use the ebay kits almost every time.

it's not impossible for those pulleys to be from the OEM manufacturer, keeping in mind Subaru does not make pulleys. anyone know for sure out of curiosity? I'm still using them either way, but would be interesting to know.

i won't pay those amounts to Subaru and the friends and family cars i maintain aren't interested in all of that cost either. so, i'd rather have all new pulleys and tensioner rather than replace only the ones that seem noisy or rough now and hope the others make it to 210,000 miles.