Ultimate Subaru Message Board

why am i not getting good gas milage?

i have a 78 brat and everyone else on here says there getting 30-35 mpg out of theirs and i feel like mines going just as fast as my dodge with a 360ci and 35" mud terrains. i filled it up about 2 days ago and i've done nothing but drive to school and back twice = 8 miles total and to autozone witch is right next door to my school once. so a total of ruffly 10 miles and now im on just about a half tank. what the hell! haha. could if just need a tune up or could it be a carb malfunction? :mad:

when you get to E fill it up and let us know how much gas it takes, untill then we can't really have an answer. If you were actually getting 0.25 miles to the gallon you would have thick black soot, or the smell of gasoline right before the car catches fire from a gas leak.

nipper

i have the right tire pressure for my tires but not for the car. should i switch that?

and i dont think my choke is engaging when its cold cause in the mornings i have to like manual choke it ha and keep on the gas till its warm enough to run by its self?

and idk exactly how much right now but from about an 8th of a tank its costs 15 bucks flat to fill. and my rear main seal is leaking and im waiting for my gasket to come in. but would that effect it at all?

You may have a rotted gas tank. Tire pressure is fine. Maybe the choak is stuck on. I mean this is increddibly poor gas mileage for any car. You must be driving to and from school in first gear at 40 mph..

nipper

i hope not! yeah my first gear goes to about 20 or 25 ha so thats not it.

i think (and hope) its the choke. can you just replace the choke and should there be a spring on it cause i didnt see any springs going to the the choke. theres just a thing that looks like a throttle and it spins back and forth just like a throttle but it spins freely. i thought that was pretty weird

i think (and hope) its the choke. can you just replace the choke and should there be a spring on it cause i didnt see any springs going to the the choke. theres just a thing that looks like a throttle and it spins back and forth just like a throttle but it spins freely. i thought that was pretty weird

therein lies your answer

the thermochoke crap broke

you can wire it open

choke is not necessary at 14*f, may just need to pump it a few times at most, usually just turn the key and presto!! idle @ 600 rpm :banana: atleast that's the way it works for me :grin:

Yup and easy enough to fix.

nipper

The choke plate should move freely when the engine is warm.

The return spring is rather weak and is located inside the choke housing.

When cold, the bi-metal choke operating "spring" should make it

more difficult to move.

This carb should have two vacuum pull off diaphragms to open the choke

once the engine starts. They are located

to the pass side rear of the carb.

If I post a picture of your carb with these items annotated

would it help?

Having you use the correct nomenclature may help diagnose your problem.

It would also be of value to someone trying to help you repair it.

Another thought that crossed my feeble mind is

The fuel level in the bowl is too high or

the needle and seat or float is knackered.

Thus while running it is constantly leaking gas

into the intake manifold/engine.