Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil level woes

OK, I changed my oil two nights ago, and after adding the required 4.2 quarts of oil the dipstick was way high. I ran the engine for 15 minutes to get the oil through all the cavities and hydro lifters and such, but after that the oil level was still high. I know Subaru engines are notorious for doing that, my Forester for example shows a high oil level after I fill it up, but after warming up the level is down to normal. Will my EA82 engine oil level go down to normal? If not, how can I know if I didn't overfill it?

OK, I changed my oil two nights ago, and after adding the required 4.2 quarts of oil the dipstick was way high. ?

So possibly * :drunk: = 1, 2, 3,(*hicup) 3, 4, .2 quarts = 5.2 quarts?

It was explained to me ( my first time I put 5 quarts in :rolleyes:,) is that when turning a corner or such the oil can get above the oil pan and be beat to a froth by the movement of the piston rods or main crank possibly creating poor pumpable oil in the pan ... other then that no problem.. but what is too high on the stick.. ? If I am a little high I don't worry about it as the oil pans seem spaciously designed for some overfilling, but if it does bother you it just takes a moment to take some out.

Edited by Indrid cold

I put 4.2 quarts, I bought 5 quarts and there's one bottle with just a bit missing off the top, so I know I didn't put 5 quarts in.

I added the oil and didn't drive the car for two days, so I know it's not the oil splashing around making it look full.

My dipstick has the metal loop on top, not a yellow handle. I didn't know they made the yellow dipstick for the Loyale.

... I didn't know they made the yellow dipstick for the Loyale.

Me Neither...

Well ... Let me explain this: when the Crankcase is low, the dipstick shows little Oil ... the Dipstick Oil Level goes up Slowly when the Crankcase has from Emty to Full Oil... but if you go anymore from the Full Crankcase, the Oil Level at the Dipstick Goes Up a Lot!

I Suggest to Drain Just the Little Overfill you subie Has, the ".2" and see if the Dipstick goes Just to the F.

Another thing to Consider is that EA82`s trend to Make more "TOD" Noise with Overfill Oil and Low Oil... or at least That`s my Experience.

Best Regards.

TOD are the initials of "Tick Of Death" ... This is How we Call to the Valve`s Hydraulic Lifters Noise, when it Becomes Loud...

Usually it Becomes Loud due to Lubrication Problems, for example a Bad Oil Pump that Brings low Pressure...

Even if it is called like That, it Won`t Kill your Engine, I Know Many EA82`s that have had That TOD Noise for Years, when it is Loud, the Engine Losts Performance...

You are probably just fine. If you are concerned then just take off the oil filter, drain it and replace it. Run the car and check the oil level. Personally, if the level is a few millimeters above the full line, I don't worry about it. If it is a half inch up, then I would drain some off.

By the way, your gasket is on it's way to you in todays mail.

I have NEVER had any problems with ANY PUROLATOR filters :banana:

Advance Auto had a buy one get one free sale on their AA red textured PUROLATOR oil filters

I bought ALL of their AA3600 and AA3682 they had

I have NEVER used a FRAM :dead:

FRAM IS JUNK

remove the FRAM, and install a PUROLATOR

DO IT!!!!!

as noted - if it is just a little above the full line, wouldnt worry about it...if you are the worrying type, drain a little off, no big deal...

next time you do an oil change - add just 4 quarts - not 4.2 - start engine to fill filter, etc...shut off, let sit for about 10 minutes and check the level - add only as necessary. this procedure will prevent accidental overfills.

I have NEVER had any problems with ANY PUROLATOR filters ...

Me Neither... but I Have had problems with Fram and Luberfiner Oil Filters...

I Remember back in 1993, Purolator filters became Scarse here for a While... So the only options was:

1. to go to the Dealer to Purchase an Expensive original Filter :-\
  2. Use a Cheap Chinese / Korean \ Unknown make Filter :mad:
  3. Use a Fram or Luberfiner Filter...

`cos Other Brands like Wix, etc Didn`t got available the Right Filter for EA82 at that time... So we purchased a Luberfiner, using their Catalog to find the one for EA82.

After less than 10 Minutes of Drivin` the Car (My dad was Driving it from the Place where he usually Changes the Oil) Going Home, we Heard a Loud "PHOP" Noise, then metallic sound like something was hitting something at the Engine Bay, Dad stopped inmediately and I went Outside to see What Happened...

My Surprise was Horrible when I Saw the Oil Filter Laying in the Skid Plate, and Oil Everywhere! ... :mad: ... I Yelled to my Dad to Shut off the Engine, Thanks God, that wasn`t engine damage; everything happened very Fast...

Then we went (Walking) Back to the Service place where the Oil was Changed, the Place owner took the Subie Back there with his Tow Truck, and we Compared the Filters, the Old (Purolator) one, with the New (Luberfiner) one.

Both was almost identical, but the new one have the Thread that screws to the Oil Pump, located very Deep Down (around 1 cm) from the metal edge under the Round Rubber Gasket; That`s why the luberfiner filter just reach to Barely Hold itself to the oil Pump by just the First turn or so of the Oil pump`s Thread... the Purolator one have the Thread raised very Up, at the Same Level than the Metallic Edge under the Round Rubber Gasket, so Purolator Holds Tight the Entire Thread of the Oil Pump. Remember that Subie`s Oil Pump Threads are Short.

So, since then; I Check Carefully the Oil Filters I Use... Luberfiner and Fram Filters had the same Problem: Thread located very deep down.

We Just let the Subie at the Service Shop and I went next day in Bus -far away to other city- to the Dealer`s Shop, and purchased a Couple of Original Filters... untill I found Purolators again. :)

My EA82 uses Only -since that problem- Purolator Filters without any Problem. Two Different Sizes fits Great:

• The "Short" one, Purolator Part Nº L10028 and...
  • The "Long" one, Purolator Part Nº L20064

With the Long one, the Engine uses one Full US Gallon and with the Shorter one, it uses a Li`l bit Less...

Kind Regards!:burnout: