Ultimate Subaru Message Board

those with aftermarket decks

• 2 months later...

Good sugestion on the AA battery. Thats what I use sometimes. I recently installed a system in my 88 Gl station Wagon, see link. First off the common ground return for the front/rear speakers needs to be eliminated. All the new head units can compensate for this but it could damage your nice new head unit. The cheap way to fix this is to cut the wire on the front speaker ground and just route a new wire to the dash, pretty easy to do. Another good bet is to rewire the whole system.

The reason a converter plug is hard to find for these cars is that the common ground is a known issue and the good radio shops won't sell you something that will frick up your new radio.

In cases like this its nice to just crimp female 1/4" slides to the dash harness and male 1/4" slides to the stock connector jumper that come with the new head unit. The factory speakers were 10W, paper coned POS. I'd replace them with the new radio.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13063&perpage=25&pagenumber=2 My intallation

Anyway, my .02 cents worth.

i'm tackling this myself in the RX.. i wired in the system using the shared ground for the front speakers.. the damn thing sounds awsome.. but i know theres room for improvement and the factory wireing isn't big enough for what i'm pushing, muuaha

pioneer cd player

4 jbl pro 3-way 61/2" speakers in all 4 doors

2 10" Subs in a bandpass box rated at 600 watts..

and my weeny amp rated at 200 watts at 4 ohm.. (i have it bridged to 2ohm :grin: )

the rx is gettin a full rewireing this weekend..

Skunk --

You mean remote turn-on wires for the amps? It all depends on the amperage drawn by each, and the amperage supplied on that wire by the head unit -- you can look those up in the owner's manuals. I'd just be safe and wire both amps through a relay.

I found a lot of useful sites when I installed my stereo a few months back. See these:

-- Wiring a relay for remote-power to amps

-- Most useful site for all the little questions about wire gauges, lengths, fuses, etc.

(You don't have to register on this site, just go to the list of topics on the bottom right-hand side.)

Hope this helps.

-- Mark