Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Just a little water over here"

Hello all. It's been ages since I posted in the general forums.

The story: The other day, I finally got to take my 1988 DL Wagon, with it's untested 4 inch lift out to play. It did awesome. There was some steep road climbs with snow that it just pushed on through. THEN....I found a trail that no one has used. My friend walked along the trail and scouted it out. He said that there was a little puddle in part of it, so I went for it, I had to cross some deep ruts to continue on with the trail and about 50 yards into the trail...it felt like my front end just got ripped out. What it turned out to be was the fact that the "little frozen puddle" was a 3 ft deep puddle with 2 inch thick ice over it. My car actually made it a car length and a half onto the ice before it fell through.

The questions: So, the car was at operating temp before taking the ice bath, what could that do to the engine (it was never completely submerged.)? I turned the car immediately, so I know I didn't hydro lock it. But could a starter cause hydrolock damage? When I got it home, had to be towed, I drained the oil and front diff. Oil was a milkshake and the diff was normal.

Thanks for your time,

[HTi]Johnson

Johnson;777719']I did the spark plug thing. It sounds like it's running on 2 cylinders. I think the disty may have water in it. It's also spfi.

they sound very good when running on 2 cyl

ea81 only 1 and 2 were working

4 was off it's rocker

2 bent pushtube

only front cyl's worked, but very smooth and quiet

since you did not say which engine :rolleyes: , it could also be that # 1 / 3 timing belt is off

FYI. Water and my Justy. I went through a creek, twice. Justy got wet. A foot of water? I don't know, I was having fun.

Pulled the carpet. One belly plug was out of the socket. No wonder.

Two plugs in back were loose. I put the plugs back in. ripped out the carpet and padding. Not looking back on this one.

Sincerely,

Quidam

P.S. I got the electronics "wet" under hood, in the car, codes all over the place. Tranny, engine, so on and so forth. I tried to dry it out. Air under compression, etc.

We'll see.

Doug