Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV Joint Broke (All fixed! Next Project)

Alright I just replaced the drivers side CV Joint on my 89.5 RX EA82T 4EAT. I got it off of a coworkers Turbo wagon and it worked pretty good for a few weeks.

Last night I was heading home and the axle broke. Making all kinds of noise and caused the car to wobble and steer strange.

I took a look at it and it doesn't appear to have caused any damage to the brake lines, rotor or calipers.

But now I'm stuck in Yelm with no money and no way to fix my car. I don't have the press or torque drill or anything. Merry fricken christmas huh? :mad:

Anyways; I have no clue what to do now. My repair manual is up in Tacoma and I have very limited tools here. :-\ Help please?

Edited by Keiji22

Ok, I got my dad to lend me $100 and just ordered it. I pick it up tomorrow since Shucks isn't open today.

Now I just need the stuff to install it. I didn't get to do the install with my coworker so I have no clue on how to do this. So once again, help?

Ok, I got my dad to lend me $100 and just ordered it. I pick it up tomorrow since Shucks isn't open today.

Now I just need the stuff to install it. I didn't get to do the install with my coworker so I have no clue on how to do this. So once again, help?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=615158#post615158

Thanks a ton.

I'll save that for future reference.

Now my only problem is that I don't have a torque drill so I can't tell how much I've torqued the axle nut.

Regular torque wrench? Tighten it down real tight and go down to a local tire store and ask them if you can borrow a 250 ft-lbs torque wrench, leave the center cap off, pull the cotter pin and torque it. I've done it before and they don't care if you do it in their parking lot in front of them.

I finally have time today to replace my Axle.

My dads neighbor was going to help me out and let me use his Garage and tools... But he flaked out on me and left this morning when we were supposed to do it. :mad:

Anyways, I'm gonna go mess with it now.

Thanks.

Anyone know the best way to remove the axle from the spindle?

How about removing the Pinch-pin in the DOJ? Anyone know if I could use a makeshift tool to do that?

Again, this is the 4-speed Auto FT4WD.

After removing the axle nut etc. just hit the axle through the spindle. You should probably use a block of wood and a hammer. But make sure you take the inner joint off the tranny first. That pin I believe is a 7/16 not positive. You don't want to use too small of a pin because it will wedge itself in there. I have used a 16 penny nail before...just be careful to not wedge it.

Alright, this is screwed up...

The part where the Axle goes into the transmission is 1 1/4 inch.

The axle that shucks swears by for the Auto Tranny, is less than 1 inch.

The new axle is the right length and spline count at 24, it just won't fit in the transmission as it isn't the right diameter. :mad:

Pics to follow.........

oldvsnewen5.jpg

As you can see, this is totally wrong. I'm going to Autozone right now.

Edited by Keiji22

Alright, this is screwed up...

The part where the Axle goes into the transmission is 1 1/4 inch.

The axle that shucks swears by for the Auto Tranny, is less than 1 inch.

The new axle is the right length and spline count at 24, it just won't fit in the transmission as it isn't the right diameter. :mad:

Pics to follow.........

what do you mean....it goes in the tranny? It should slide onto the stub shaft that is sticking out of the tranny. yes pics would help!

Here's the length comparison.

I took it back to Shucks since it was completely the wrong axle.

Napa doesn't have one.

Autozone doesn't have one.

Here's a picture of their length comparison, they're exactly the same length:

newversusoldlengthfh6.jpg

So what exactly is wrong with that old axle? Looks to me like the problem is your wheel bearings- The race area on the axle should not be that color.

I think that axle is a replacement (used) he got from somebody.

The one on the bottom is the new one (wrong axle).

I think that axle is a replacement (used) he got from somebody.

The one on the bottom is the new one (wrong axle).

Yeah, but that used axle was also in his car and is the "failed" one. See how those race areas look? That doesn't look like rust, it looks like heat marks.

85-87 Turbo cars with automatic had the 3spd. Some of the later 88 and 89 (XT and some GL's) also used that 3spd, while the *fulltime* 4spd autos went into most Auto turbos.

Here is the trouble.

3spd auto trans = 23 spline axle

4spd auto trans = 25 spline axle

All turbo cars with Manual Trans = 25 spline axle.

So the solution around the parts stores screwed up listings is to just always order the axle for a Manual trans Turbo car.