Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 2.5L Camshaft Sprocket Failure

Passenger side exhaust camshaft sprocket disentegrated. Literally....it broke into a hundred pieces and shattered the timing belt cover on that side of the engine. Ironically, the timing belt is still intact. Further investigation discovered a faulty idler pulley as the cause of this disaster and I am assuming that I may have bent vavles. I know i can remove the cam covers while the engine is still in, but do I need to yank the engine to fully inspect the drive train? 188k and the car has been flawless until now.

most likely there's valve damage. but there's a chance of no damage and it's not always that bad if you can do the work yourself or have a reasonable mechanic. a friend of mine fixed one a year or two ago, just needed 2 bent valves replaced, everything else was fine.

this is why we often recommend replacing the entire set of pulleys/tensioner with the timing belt on older cars or high miles. most likely yours weren't replaced, so that's expecting the original bearings to make 200,000+ miles which isn't a good bet.

a complete head job/inspection *can* be done with the motor in the car, but it's usually suggested to pull it for head work.

with the EJ25 head gasket issues and 200,000 miles i would plan on replacing both head gaskets with this job.

Ugh, I want to avoid this. Maybe this is why I'm seeing so many '97 to '00s for sale with around 150k+ miles for sale. It's not just the timing belt but water pump (most likely), reseal oil pump, cam seals, idle pulleys, tensioner etc. As I put it, getting to the moon is relatively easy-getting home is the ***************.

ha, so with a lower to mid 100k engine inspecting the belt (2nd) is probably not going to reveal any impending doom. now, a wobbling cam sprocket is good to know-prolly why those covers are soo close to the sprocket.

Question, do the cam/crankshaft sprockets actually have bearings-aren't they just fixed to the cam and crankshafts (like the crankshaft pulley)?

and im a little leery of recomending that much work on a high mileage engein, even a sooby engine. I would hate to see allthat work done and have you end up with blowby.

Also this may be chicken vs egg. Check to make sure the cam with the broken gear spins freely, as it may have siezed first. It's rare but it does happen.

nipper

Yank the motor, pull the heads, have them re-built, replace the head gaskets, replace the cam seals, pull the oil pump and re-seal it, install a new crank seal while its off the block, replace the valve cover seals, and spark plug seals, tensioner and idler pulleys, H20 pump, t-stat, and re-seal your oil pan while it is out. Re-seal your seperator plate and if it does not have the updated tin one with the allen head bolts do that as well, replace the rear main, and don't froget to re-sela the end caps where the cams are as well as replacing the rubber seal as well. Or at least that is what I would do with it if it was my car and I had it. Then again I can do all that work, but if your not so mechanically inclined better fined a reputable shop and have them do it. I would also do a lot more to it then just this, like a full on tune up while out of the engine bay, oh and don't forget the t-belt as well. There is more I am sure, but that is just off the top of my head

Edited by Mugs

If you are looking to go cheap. I have a set of heads on a 97 motor. All the internals are in fine shape, it just blew the headgaskets. I can sell you the heads and you can install them on your boock and be running the thing down the road. I also have the cam gear you need. PM me if this seems ineresting to you.

Thanks for all the advice. All the cam sprockets still turn freely...to a point, but they all spin in a consistant manner. My only reservation to overhauling the heads is a finicky automatic tranny. I believe I can pull the engine and replace/adjust the valves, but I have to research replacing the head gasket. I really miss my old, reliable, easy to repair EA-82.

Thanks for all the advice. All the cam sprockets still turn freely...to a point, but they all spin in a consistant manner. My only reservation to overhauling the heads is a finicky automatic tranny. I believe I can pull the engine and replace/adjust the valves, but I have to research replacing the head gasket. I really miss my old, reliable, easy to repair EA-82.

That makes me think you might like this option. Put in an EJ22, a 95 engine from an automatic is easiest, but 96-98 engines from automatics will work as well if you get the matching y-pipe. It is a direct swap. EJ22's are reliable and easy to repair. It will most likely be cheaper than repairing the EJ25. I can get the EJ22's for a few hundred around here. A few hours work and you are back on the road.

hmm, that sucks the trans may have problems. you can find a used trans fairly inexpensively and they're reliable enough that replacing with a used one works well. but maybe it just needs a fluid change?

if you're going to end up spending a few hundred dollars having the heads rebuilt then a used set like mdjc offered or an EJ22 swap would probably end up being cheaper and give you something with fewer miles on it.

i also have an EJ25 in my garage with new headgaskets but doubt you want to spend that kind of money.

Best thing would be to buy a timing belt set, with idlers, and order a new Cam sprocket.

Hang the belt on her and see what you get. Does it run? How is the compresion? Leakdown? This will give you a chance to diagnos the engine, and you might get lucky.

Worst case, you still have a brand new set of idlers and a T-belt to put on after the teardown, or to use on a low price used motor.

Frankly, I would rather tear down what I know was a good running engine, and repair it with fresh headgaskets and seals. Otherwise you might be pulling that J-yard 2.5 you got the "deal" on soon after installing it.