Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Loyale new Cat Conv fails!

Greetings all.

Replaced exhaust in Aug 08 with custom system. Car ran great, MPG was good. Cat failed last week, blocked. Had to remove O2 sensor for car to run.

I want to try and figure out why it failed and what to check before(and if ) I replace it. Codes list O2 sensor and EGR valve. Sube mechanic suggested EGRs don't fail but solenoids do. (My Chiltons show the solenoid as seperate- SMPI)

Is this likely? Any suggestions of what else to look for? CMP sensor etc?

Thanks for any suggestions, Happy New Year!

Pethog in Toronto

Hi: Car doesn't/didn't burn a lot of oil, or smoke; passed its emissions testing ok. Oil pressure is down below 50% on the dial! Could that indicate "blowback"

Worn rings? It's only done 250 K (130M)

Same for gas. Mileage was good. Didn't smoke! That's why I was wondering what would cause it to run rich. I put a new fuel pump on in the summer. Seems to be OK.

Would it help to cut the cat open, see what it looks like?

Thanks

Pete

Codes list O2 sensor and EGR valve. Sube mechanic suggested EGRs don't fail but solenoids do.

+1 for the Sube mechanic.

Here is my fix for the EGR code:

http://home.comcast.net/~davidtief/solenoid.html

If the O2 sensor was going bad, it can cause the mixture to be off, and kill the cat. I had that happen once.

When this partial failure happens, the ECU doesn't recognize it as a failure, and no error code shows.

Edited by DaveT
clarity

Thanks for the help guys. Timing belt was changed 25K ago, there was a code

come up a while back from the original failed cat in August just prior to getting the new one installed. I think we're going to cut off the cat and check it out, replace it and the O2, check the egr.

DaveT- your egr fix looks great.

I am constantly amazed at the knowledge and experience you all have!. I guess I just didn't get my hands dirty enough when I was a kid. The parts guy, Howard, at the local dealership was a former mechanic, and for years had shared his time and experience when I went to buy parts. He passed away a year ago. Now they don't even have the shop manuals for the loyales.....

Silent lifters in 09!

pethog in Toronto