Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Found 90 legacy wagon for sale, 350.00, 146000, new rad, waterpump, very clean small dent on hood. Won't start after being worked on by " backyard mechanics", sounds like the tbelt is on incorrectly as it turns over like it only has compression on half the motor. All i'm after is the five speed, it would need trailerd to my place, good deal yay or nay

Found 90 legacy wagon for sale, 350.00, 146000, new rad, waterpump, very clean small dent on hood. Won't start after being worked on by " backyard mechanics", sounds like the tbelt is on incorrectly as it turns over like it only has compression on half the motor. All i'm after is the five speed, it would need trailerd to my place, good deal yay or nay

sounds good to me....you could sell the parts and probably make your money back, that's really not a lot of miles. Find out exactly what was worked on before it wouldn't start

that's a fine price. it really depends on your local market. in saturated areas it's easy to get stuff really cheap if you keep your eyes and feelers out. but that's time consuming too. $350 for a trans you need sounds great to me.

not too mention he's not likely to sell it, will probably come down a bit, and scrap prices are a lot lower than a few months ago.

talk him down to $250, scrap the rest for $100 and you're only out $150.

If you can pick up this car on the cheap, and as you say the body is clean with not that many miles, it can be worth your while to put some time on getting the motor to run. If you get it to run well, then resell for a nice profit, or drive it yourself, and look for a 5 speed elsewhere. Since the '90 has the 2.2 non interference motor, you will not have a concern of valve damage from T belt problems.