Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so im lookin at getting a 99 legacy outback but had a few q's to ask the guru's first..... what years did the 2.5 have issues? when did they change the dohc for the sohc? are there any problems i should look for? thanks in advance for any input guys!!

All of the 2.5's are problem motors as far as hg's go. Supposedly they solved the problem after '03. The phase 1 DOHC was made from 95/96-99 and the phase 2 was made starting in 2000.

I have a 99 Leggie OBW. Yes, it is the DOHC motor with potential Head Gasket problems. Ask owner if HG has been changed. If previous owner can't be reached, Subaru mechanics can look at the head gasket ends (over hang)that protrude where the head meets the block, and tell by the material if it is the newer design HG.

The 99 also has issues with the automatic transmisson of delayed shifting into forward gears from park or reverse. This can be remedied by adding a can of Trans-X to the trany. That product fixed my problem.

Otherwise, the 99 is a good car!

in addition to HG and delayed forward engagement issues the 99's have a speedometer issue as well. like the trans issue, it's almost exclusive to the 99 model year.

as far as headgaskets go SOHC is better than DOHC. SOHC EJ25 is available in 2000+ legacy/outbacks and in 99+ Foresters

i've seen 2003 soobs with head gasket issues...so it's rather late before they are "fixed".

i'd just look for one that's already been replaced. yesterday for kicks i looked in Denver and found 5 EJ25 Subaru's for sale that mentioned already having the headgaskets replaced, listed since Dec 28. 5 in 5 days.

99 is also a year that speedo heads went bad to, intermintant working or they just quit, go out in a parking lot and make sharp turns tightly to, go left to right and right to left, see if you feel any binding or vibation. Have the car looked over to for oil leaks, most common are valve cover gaskets, front crankseal and oil pump oil ring, camseals, and of course rear main seal and seperator plate, which are located in the back of the engine, the only way to tell is if you see oil leaking in back of the oil pan and going onto the crossmember. Other than that its a great year, I had a 99 and loved it, so check those things and your good.