Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Legacy Turbo. Motor is el gonzo. Found oil squirters in oil pan and then the head gasket blew and there is coolant in the oil pan, valves clack like crazy. I personally don't like this series of turbo motors and want the guy to do a conversion to non turbo EJ22. what if any is involved with the retro fit, in particualr the ecu/wiring. I know I will need to find a "stock" y-pipe, but other the just finding and bolting in the NA EJ22 what els is needed. Thanks in advance for your help.

i would try NABISCO, those folks do the opposite - EJ22 - EJ22T swaps all the time. that should easily clue you in on what is involved.

comparing wiring diagrams of the ECU would be helpful as well.

i did a turbo to non-turbo swap on an old gen vehicle. there were a few additional sensors and such but the wiring was nearly identical.

i'd think you will want to go with a non-turbo ECU, assuming of course it's compatible. in the EA series stuff the non turbo and turbo ECU was interchangeable and i didn't need to do any wiring. although i never did get it running %100, but that's not swap related issues.

To really do it right you would swap the harness and ECU. I think you could still run it on the turbo ecu and harness if you really had to, probably wouldn't run so great, the ECU is mapped for boost. The exhaust is going to be different and so is the crossmember, I think you could leave the turbo crossmember in there. You'd need all the the non turbo intake plumbing too. If the block is still useable, I will buy it from you, let me know.

you can use a turbo crossmember with a N/A engine, but not vice versa, you will need a whole new exhaust, the 2 wiring harnesses.

reason i say both is that one goes from 1 ecu plug out over the drivers fender and to the intake manifold, also to the alt, fluse block, headlights, horns, fans, and ABS pump.

then the second harness hooks 2 plugs to the ECU, then to the fuse block and chassis harness, then to part of the dash, behind the heater box, and out into the engine bay between the heater hoses. hooks to tranny and the map sensor and boost solnoid on the passenger strut tower, grounds and FWD fuse, also over to cruse control, A/C, and by the brake booster.

those are different because of the boost solnoid as well as the other sensors and such, you will need to change ALL that to do it properly as well as the ECU and/TCU if it is auto.

better off putting the car up for sale and let a enthusist put it back together and finding yourself another non-turbo gen1 legacy.

Tried the Subaru Stuff Shop in Hayden Idaho?

They mostly do newer soob stuff.

I would agree with jaren here, but I have had two misdiagnoses (ok one definitive misdiagnosis) from these guys and each time they want an arm and a leg to do anything about it. They wanted over a thousand for an engine swap, but that included the engine. It was around $500-$700 for just a swap. And that was for the same engine, no wiring or exhaust modifications.

If anything I would try searching in the nickels worth, nickel nik, or craigslist for a subaru mech. I personally don't have much faith in the SSS.

I would agree with jaren here, but I have had two misdiagnoses (ok one definitive misdiagnosis) from these guys and each time they want an arm and a leg to do anything about it. They wanted over a thousand for an engine swap, but that included the engine. It was around $500-$700 for just a swap. And that was for the same engine, no wiring or exhaust modifications.

If anything I would try searching in the nickels worth, nickel nik, or craigslist for a subaru mech. I personally don't have much faith in the SSS.

$1000 for a used engine installed or $500 to swap is dirt cheap around here, I know because that's what I charge and people are amazed I can do it that cheap. :)

better off putting the car up for sale and let a enthusist put it back together and finding yourself another non-turbo gen1 legacy.

+1

Check out this dedicated '90-94 Legacy site:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/

The ECU wiring is different (cam and crank, etc.), wiring on intake and for turbo (of course) is different....you might be able to run the NA engine off the turbo ECU, but would likely cause a bunch of CELs, which may make it run poorly.

I just swapped an EJ22T into my EJ22 NA....I had a complete donor car, which made it much easier.

Many would argue the EJ22T is the best turbo engine Subaru ever built. If you've got a bad one, it's an exception - not the rule. I'd be interested in how your friend's was maintained/driven and # of miles.

Edited by wtdash

Many would argue the EJ22T is the best turbo engine Subaru ever built. If you've got a bad one, it's an exception - not the rule. I'd be interested in how your friend's was maintained/driven and # of miles.

I think it is the best block subaru ever made. The rest of it leaves a lot to be desired.

+1

I'd be interested in how your friend's was maintained/driven and # of miles.

First he is a customer. Second to give you an idea of how this guy maintains his car...My 96 lego wagon is for sale and I would not sell it to him just because of the aperance of his car both inside and out. I would cry every time he would bring back "my" car into the shop for some type of maintainance and see all of what he has done to it...especially the interior...it looks like a time bomb went off in it. Plus he's a little arrogant poo poo head anyway. So basiaclly I will find a turbo motor to replace it with, or tell him like I told him to do before...SCRAP IT. Personaly this is one suby customer I hope to never have to deal with in the near furture if ever at all. Most of my suby customers are great and I work with them on the repairs of their cars...but this guy...ha. Not again, not if I have to. :horse::banghead: