Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Loyale smoke/steam out of the drive side rear wheel well and lost of hi speed perf

Hi guys, I have the same post over nasioc but I think it's better to have it on multiple places so I'm posting it here too.

I have a 93 Loyale. Today for some reason the car didn't start so a friend of mine jump started it for me. And since then I noticed there is white smoke/steam coming out of the driver side rear wheel well. I could not smell anything (it's -10F out there). I am wondering if it is related to the jump start or is a seperate thing...

Anyone has a clue?

Thank a lot

Vincent

Edited by vincentmoy

OK, thing seems to be worse than it seems like. The car won't go pass 45mph. It does not seems to be the tranny problem because it shift well (it's an AT). When the Eng rev to about 3k, in 3rd gear, spd is about 45 mph, the car started to "hiccup" and slow down. However, it doesn't seem to happen in low speed. I can stop-and-go well (so far) until I reach about 45ph. I have no clue what's going on here.... Gosh... it scare c**p outta me.

Could be that the movement of air was blowing the exhaust back under the vehicle, and that's where it came out from under it.

As for the drivability issue, when was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

I am not sure when did it change last time. But I was just driving up and down the hwy 2 days ago and it was fine. I don't know what is going on really...

Could explain both problems. The exhaust gases have to do somewhere.

OK. When I jump start the engine, my friend told me to pump the gas. I did so (5 to 6 pumps each time, did twice.) When the engine was cranking, he told me to pump more gas until the eng start. Sure enough the engine started and then those problems started to emerge.

Would the pumping gas action causes the problem?

You would think blocked exhaust would effect you right away and you wouldnt be able to start it at all. Fire up the engine and go out and wait with the hood up to see where its coming from. Has anyone said Head Gasket yet. That would be about the time the antifreeze heated up in a cold car.

I don't know but with all of the white smoke sounds like he is burning coolant, so a leaking headgasket? That would explain the loss of power and trouble starting. How is your coolant level? are you a bit low from time to time?

Well, but after it starts (after I jump started it), the car start like normal without much problem. Would it be just something choking the engine after it jump start?

the first engine in my brat did that... i lost power and it was very hard to start... it turned out to be a headgasket. but with it being so cold out what is your collant to water ratio you might have cracked something did it squil on start up and continue or did it run like usual other than hard start and no power as in idle

the first engine in my brat did that... i lost power and it was very hard to start... it turned out to be a headgasket. but with it being so cold out what is your collant to water ratio you might have cracked something did it squil on start up and continue or did it run like usual other than hard start and no power as in idle

I started the car and pop the hood this morning. The car started fine and the eng seems (nothing spraying out/ leaking as far as I can see) & sounds normal.

However, when I tried to drive, it doesn't want to go pass even 25 mph. I floored the gas and the car just doesn't want to go.

It feels like it accelarates a little bit, and then I lost power even I press the gas all the way. Then I let go the gas a little and it seems to give a little more power but second later it die down again. That creates a hiccup feeling.

I'm sorry but I'm no mechanical and I have not much clue about cars. So I don't really know what to try or even where to start.

Start here..

go out side and check the fluid in your radiator (make sure the car is cold). I don't think that jumping your car had any thing to do with it since there is few electronics in these cars compared to the new ones.

Next I think the clogged exhaust theory is a good one. It is possible that not in till you hit 45mph were you making enough exhaust for the clog to effect the flow and now it may be clogged more. Other than that it may be a bad head gasket or fuel filter.

Now stop... and take a big breath...:rolleyes:

It does not matter if you don't know a lot about cars. Go do a search for "How to keep your Subaru alive" it is a kind of a manual for dummies.. Some one has it on this server I think. It reads like a comic book and is very user friendly. It shows you how to change out your fuel filter.

If you are looking for a quick fix you aint going to learn squat and if that makes you mad then you should of not of bought a older vehicle now before I get flamed. The Subaru EA81 and EA82 are great motors to cut your shade tree mechanic teeth on. They are pretty simple and don't weigh much if you have to pull them out. I think in there simplicity lies there beauty.

So lets recap.

1.check your coolant levels

2.down load "how to keep your Subaru alive"

3.change your fuel filter

4.read the manual you down loaded and take note of the head gasket section.

5. enjoy learning new things these cars are awesome

6. If you still are stuck keep asking questions AFTER you have tried our recomodations. Where here to help.:)

Start here..

go out side and check the fluid in your radiator (make sure the car is cold). I don't think that jumping your car had any thing to do with it since there is few electronics in these cars compared to the new ones.

Next I think the clogged exhaust theory is a good one. It is possible that not in till you hit 45mph were you making enough exhaust for the clog to effect the flow and now it may be clogged more. Other than that it may be a bad head gasket or fuel filter.

Now stop... and take a big breath...:rolleyes:

It does not matter if you don't know a lot about cars. Go do a search for "How to keep your Subaru alive" it is a kind of a manual for dummies.. Some one has it on this server I think. It reads like a comic book and is very user friendly. It shows you how to change out your fuel filter.

If you are looking for a quick fix you aint going to learn squat and if that makes you mad then you should of not of bought a older vehicle now before I get flamed. The Subaru EA81 and EA82 are great motors to cut your shade tree mechanic teeth on. They are pretty simple and don't weigh much if you have to pull them out. I think in there simplicity lies there beauty.

So lets recap.

1.check your coolant levels

2.down load "how to keep your Subaru alive"

3.change your fuel filter

4.read the manual you down loaded and take note of the head gasket section.

5. enjoy learning new things these cars are awesome

6. If you still are stuck keep asking questions AFTER you have tried our recomodations. Where here to help.:)

I will do that. Thank you!

+1 on the clogged exhaust.

+1 on "How to keep your Subaru Alive"

IF, after you check the fluid in your radiator, and find it to be full, I would suggest you separate the exhaust under the car ( this is usually fairly easy with basic hand tools - the exhaust is bolted together) and try running it again to see if your power has come back.

My thinking is, if smoke/steam is coming out around the wheel well, it may be that your muffler is clogged and is causing the exhaust exhaust to back up, choking your engine. This built up pressure may be causing the exhaust to vent out one of the seams, or you may have a hole in the exhaust pipe around the wheel well... the exhaust is usually supposed to come out the back...

Check the above suggestions first, for a possible head gasket failure, then separate the exhaust and see if that fixes it... If it does, see the appropriately qualified person to have new exhaust installed.

Good luck!

88RxTuner

Edited by 88RxTuner

I don't know if it's off topic but I think it worth mention here.

My check eng light has been kept on even time I start the car now. Usually it will just do some random on & off. The previous owner has took her in and Subaru (I suppose the dealer) said there were nothing wrong.

Since the jump start the light is kept on and it's really unusual. I have looked around the repair manual here and the closest I could find is the "Subaru ECU Codes for 1983-1988." The post said I should be able to look for the code from the Oxygen Sensor Monitor or the Malfunction Indicator Lamp but I may be dumb or something I just don't know where they are. I look through my chilton and it doesn't seems to mention where is the LED module.

The Malfunction Indicator Lamp will keep on when I turn the key to "on" position.

Would anyone mind giving me a few pointer?

I'm sorry to be such a pain...

Vincent

Today I changed the fuel filter, PCV Valve, and the V-belt. The car still seems to have the problem although it is not as profound. I'm not sure if it's because it was sat in a heated garage for half a day or what.

The check engine light is still on. My friend who help me to do the work said put some engine cleaner and drive for 1/2 to a full tank. Then he also suggested to call up some shops to see if they can decode the check eng light for me.

My friend also said there is an exhaust leak AFTER the muffler. An nothing looks too suspicious other than that.

Forgot to mention that all the fluid level are good, including coolent.

Any ideas?

Edited by vincentmoy