Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, since I got my "new" subi, I'm planning to do my best to keep it in good shape as her "old man" does.

Anyways, I'm think to drop a block heater since she doesn't comes with one. I am wondering if anyone has any idea at all since I know most of you guys are from warmer place than, say, Alaska.

I have a friend of mine who is capable of doing things on cars (Man I'm glad to have him live just down the block) and I think I can ask him for some helps.

I really appreciate any of your help!

Vincent

To tell you the truth the engine I just bought had one already installed. I didnt realize what it was til you posted that link to the part. I just dont have the cord for it :) It actually hooks into the bottom of the block where there is a metal plug. So I wouldnt expect it to be to hard to install.

that "core plug" can be a bugger to get loose

That's the WORST PART !!! And when trying to break it loose, you can round out the inside. I've done 2 so far. And no matter how long you let the drain open, more antifreeze is always behind that plug.

I have put that block heater in my Baja. Personally, I'd recommend trying to break the plug in the crankcase/block loose with the engine hot. DO NOT REMOVE IT HOT, just barely make it break loose. It could be welded in there really tightly depending upon a thousand things. Once you get it broken free, everything from there is cake. It works well, at least for me. Eastern Idaho is cold, but not nearly as cold as inland Alaska.

I have put that block heater in my Baja. Personally, I'd recommend trying to break the plug in the crankcase/block loose with the engine hot. DO NOT REMOVE IT HOT, just barely make it break loose. It could be welded in there really tightly depending upon a thousand things. Once you get it broken free, everything from there is cake. It works well, at least for me. Eastern Idaho is cold, but not nearly as cold as inland Alaska.

Thanks for the idea, I think I can use my friend's heated garage if he allows. Will that help?

It'll absolutely help. It doesn't hurt as much when you smash your fingers if they're not cold. :)

What I was really talking about, though, was putting a wrench on the plug and just barely breaking it loose (but NOT enough to let coolant spit on you) was to drive the car and get the engine warm. Whether completely up to operating temp is your call, but I'd get it fully up to temp and then let it sit in the warm garage for a while until it won't scald you just to be near the metal. If that doesn't work, though, you might need to try to crack it at cull operating temp. Crack it then to make sure it's going to come out w/o major force, and then let it sit until cool enough to remove the plug, drain coolant, fit the heater, refill, and be on your way. Good luck!