Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help ! 2.5 - 2.2 swap, runs poorly on aceleration

Hi. I just swapped out my 97 OB 2.5 ( w EGR) and put in a 98 2.2 ( no egr.) Things went fairly well. I read about the operation here for months before attempting this. I would have never attempted it with out the many threads heere on how to do this, thank you.

The 2.5 has a blown HG or cracked head.

The 2.2 engine starts fine, idles well, idels smooth, no vibration etc.

Whe accelereating the engine bucks , lacks power , and can only be driven by extreme feathering of the throttle. It will eventually rev all the way, and comes back to an idle great.

Did I miss simething? The only emission hose I didnt really have an exact hook for was the solenoid on the right fender, and the canister. On the 97 canister, there is two ports, a big and small. I hooked the small one up to the solenoid.

Thanks again if you can point me in the right direction here.

Paul

What work was done on the 2.2 before install?

One thing could be a timing belt off a couple of teeth. I had a 2.2 that ran well through the entire RMP range until you hit above 5000 RPM then it acted as if the rev limiter kicked in. A reinstall of the belt cured it.

if it's an automatic i hope the torque converter was seated properly, although i don't think the car would move if it wasn't. that damages the pump inside the transmission and = bad mojo.

any check engine light? obviously for the EGR system?

vacuum leak? to find these folks often spray some carb cleaner (or other suitable *detector*) in the engine bay. any vacuum leak quickly becomes noticeable becuaes with the engine running it'll rev, come down, rev, die...act totally different.

aside from that, i like the questions just asked. what's the condition of the EJ22 you put in?

spark plugs and wires (should be subaru wires and NGK plugs for this engine)

timing belt (98 is a strange year, i think it may differ from 97)?

The 98 EJ22 condition unknown, bought from junk yard, I put new bosch platinum plugs in, wires looked ok.......

Timing belt lloked ok. Engine had 73,000 miles on it...according to seller ( ebay, very high rating).

CEL is on, I am going to get codes in the morning.

CEL is on, I am going to get codes in the morning.
ah ha! you were holding back on us.

my guess is you'll get a "cylinder misfire code"

replace the plugs with stock OEM NGK plugs.

replace the wires with Subaru only wires.

you can read all over this forum that these engines are not very forgiving of plugs and wires. not true of all subaru engines, but yours it is.

if it's not a cylinder misfire code, post here what is it. try and get the actual code not what the auto parts person thinks the cause is.

also - your 1998 EJ22 is an interference motor, if the timing belt breaks there's a good chance for extensive engine damage.

the timing belt, if it's never been replaced is over 10 years old even if it looks fairly new. it may be time for a new one. once you get it running well it would be extremely wise to replace the timing components - belts and pulleys. entire kits are only $80 on ebay, fantastic deal.

It was supposed to be a 96 motor, but a hand written tag on it says 98. How else could I tell which it is?

The donor car is unknown, in PA, I am in NY so I dont really know how the vacuum lines were set up... I am just guessing.

Can I change the plugs with the engine in the car???? Looks very tight.

It was supposed to be a 96 motor, but a hand written tag on it says 98. How else could I tell which it is?

The donor car is unknown, in PA, I am in NY so I dont really know how the vacuum lines were set up... I am just guessing.

Can I change the plugs with the engine in the car???? Looks very tight.

i think there is supposed to be a vin etched into the block on the passenger side near the trans/engine joint. but i was never able to find mine until i pulled the engine. look for it on the 2.5 so you'll know where to look on the 2.2. you'll want to know if it's a 98 or assume it is if you don/t know. 98 is an interference engine , 96 is not. the timing belt is due at 105k.

I'm wondering if that "solenoid on the right fender" could in fact be the MAP sensor. (Which might also be attached to a solenoid...so maybe you're right.) If so, it's rather important that it is hooked up! Did the old disconnected vaccum line to the old 2.5 have a stubby, fuel-filter looking device in it by any chance?

My general advice to you is to make the 2.2's vacuum hoses confirm to the vacuum hose diagram on the underhood sticker for the 2.5.

If you're concerned about the internal condition of the engine, you could do a compression test. Yes, you can remove spark plugs fairly easily with the engine in place... it helps to remove the windshield washer resivoir first.

Nathan

Just got back from runing around town for 2 hours. Car ran GREAT after about 20 minutes, nomisfires, plenty of power...picture perfect.

I stopped and read the codes from ECM and got Misfire cylinder 2, No EGR ( which I knew would be there), and Evap canister path....

I did the SEAFOAM fogging through a vaccum line while out, and put rest of can in gas tank, which was 1/4 full.

Drove home ( 12 miles ) at highway speed, ran great, turned corner into nieghborhood, and bam, runs crappy, misfiring CEL blinking etc....

Now thinking changing plug wires first ( Subaru brand) , then coil pack.....

Sound right?

I stopped and read the codes from ECM and got Misfire cylinder 2,

yep, that's what i was thinking...the other day...

my guess is you'll get a "cylinder misfire code"

replace the plugs with stock OEM NGK plugs.

replace the wires with Subaru only wires.

yep, replace those wires and you're golden. personally i'd do the plugs at the same time. easy to do. ignore those other codes for now, the wires are causing the bulk (if not all) of your problems.

Ding Ding Ding...tell him whats he's won Johnny.

I TEMPORARILY put on a new set of brand X wires from autozone, and it runs like new !!! I couldnt wait until the dealer opened tommorrow, I just had to know. I'll go after wotk and get the real ones...

THANKS !!!!

I TEMPORARILY put on a new set of brand X wires from autozone, and it runs like new !!!
i did that once too...and it ran like crap with brand new wires right out of the box. it's so bizarre, the older series motors were never like that. odd these newer ones are so sensitive.

easy fix - woo hoo!