Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'86 gl wagon owner seeking help from the gods!

i have an '86 soobie gl wagon 5 spd. 1.8 front wheel drive. i just got her back from a friend who had her sitting for a month or so, and i changed out the spark plugs, ngk's disty, rotor, fuel filter, fuel pump, oil/filter change, coolant flush n fill. anyhoo after getting her running she's riding a little ruff, took her to a mechanic/friend who said thats she's only running on 2 pistons, something bout the head gasket to the passenger side. does anyone know if there's a write up (with pics:banana:) on this kinda job? i wanna try and tackle this so i can save myself some $$ and learn more. i love my soobie and i eventually want to get a lift and roof rack. thanks in advance guys!

definitely wouldn't run without the driver side belt - that runs the dist on an ea82, correct? i don't see how it could run w/out a pass t-belt but i'll check back on this one, many of you ea82 guys will know that easy!

If the Passenger belt breaks it will run, abeit it will run like complete S**t. I know from experience :) It annot and will not run without the drivers side belt, which is usally the one that goes first cuz its longer.

To the OP, if the car wasnt overheating or losing coolant and there is no oil in the radiator when you flushed it or coolant in the oil when you changed it, I doubt it is a head gasket, but I dont know if youve been with it long enough to know if its using coolant or not. Check the belts first thing.

-Bill

thanks for all the repllies! really happy that it "might" be the timing belt. :banana:didnt know she had 2 timing belts. it does make sense that it mite be the passenger side. i know for a fact that these timing belts have never been changed in at least 7 years. i did the coolant change and oil change and there was no coolant in the oil or vise versa. so definately gonna look under those covers this weekend! quik question.... is it ok to drive her to and from work like that? and next, do i need to take out the radiator and stuff to get to the timing belt covers?? thanks again guys for all your help. really appreciate it!

no, not necessary to pull radiator and such.

to check the belt pull the outer cover (timing covers are three pieces). you should not need to pull anything to get to it, altho moving the vacuum canister out of the way (unlatch, lift up and twist it out of the way without removing any of the hoses) does make it a little easier.

removing the 10mm bolts on the cover can be a pain - especially the lower ones if the nuts embedded in the plastic break loose. uppers arent usually a problem...

if you do need to do the belts (sounds like maybe you should), there is an excellent write up in the USRM.

is it ok to drive her to and from work like that?

I guess... it's a non interference engine. However, the gas mileage will probably suck, and I can't imagine that it has much power at all -- I was just driving mine on three cylinders for a little, and it felt like such a dog.... (on the other hand, it was a good way to make it feel quick and spritely with all four... which normally an EA82 isn't all that spritely feeling.

Z

yeah she has been running ruff, and i feel bad cuz this soobie used to run really nice. so far i'm just happy that she turns over and stays on, (pretty good idle) and she gets me to work and back. my son is using our other car. so most definately gonna do the timing belt thing this weekend, she deserves it! i did see that write up on the timing belt and it's pretty awesome. i will also get back to you guys and let you know what i found and what i did. one more thing....is it okay to use seafoam in her now, or just wait till all is said and done? once again, you guys are the best! thanks:)