Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radius Rods Don't Like Curbs!

I was making a corner on a street in Spokane Washington and I hit a patch of ice making a corner. I was going like 10-15 mph at the time and to correct the slide towards the corner I cranked the wheel as far as I could away from the curb and eased on the throttle. TOO LITTLE TOO LATE. I tagged the curb with my wheel and jammed my wheel into my fender. I was able to make the thing crawl into a Krispy Kreme :brow: parking lot, about 30 feet away and that's where it stopped. :-\ So I sat down and ate a donut and had some cocoa.

Hey, and I thought I was the only one to do that my car :-p

Yeah, I'm kinda glad I didn't do quite as much damage as psyko did.

Did it take much tweaking to get the "new" one to go in?

I've only gotten mine disassembled. Putting it back together is going to be the fun part.

I'll keep ya'll updated and maybe after its all said and done I'll make an entry into the USRM! :brow:

Twitch

Yeah, getting the new control arm in was a bit of a pain. Because the mounting point on the engine crossmember is messed up, the arm didn't want to just slide in and once it was in it was not in the right spot; it was angled way back. I had to install the control arm and radius rod separately and then winch the control arm forward until the radius rod bolts fell down into their appropriate holes.

PC240118.jpg?t=1231699114

Ouch.

Did that to mine out wheeling once.

I believe it was Rooinator (if I'm wrong I'm sorry)

that told me to take some small angle iron (proly about 3/4", I still need to do it) And weld it along the rod. Supposed to make them just about bullet proof.