Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1981 Brat Lift Kit

kellyray

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok let me know it i got this right! I have a gen1 chassi and its hard to find lifts for because of the rear suspension? The only difference between a gen1 chass and a gen2 chassi is the rear suspension? Its easy to swap a gen1 rear suspension for a gen2 rear suspension? 1982 was the 1st gen2 chassi??

Please let me know if i have all of this stuff right?

4x4brat has been very cool with me and he has a gen1 lift kit! So im not completely out of luck. Also I have learned tons on this forum and would like to thank each and everyone of you that has replied.

Ok let me know it i got this right! I have a gen1 chassi and its hard to find lifts for because of the rear suspension? The only difference between a gen1 chass and a gen2 chassi is the rear suspension? Its easy to swap a gen1 rear suspension for a gen2 rear suspension? 1982 was the 1st gen2 chassi??

Please let me know if i have all of this stuff right?

4x4brat has been very cool with me and he has a gen1 lift kit! So im not completely out of luck. Also I have learned tons on this forum and would like to thank each and everyone of you that has replied.

Sounds pretty much right! And you will keep learning, this place is full of knowledge!!:banana:

The only difference between a gen1 chass and a gen2 chassi is the rear suspension?

The radius plates are different also but the principal is the same.

Its easy to swap a gen1 rear suspension for a gen2 rear suspension?

Very different mounting points on the subframe. I thought about it but decided it was easier to modify the trailing arms instead.

Thanks brumbyrunner,

My brat isnt running perfectly yet, it runs a little better everytime i mess with it though. So it might be a little bit before i try and do anything major. I want to make sure shes gonna be some what dependable first. I am going to paint it this weekend. (just a flat army green)

My L88 is badly rusted now and is just for parts. It's a shame you're on the other side of the Pacific because all the good gear in it is still okay. Steel bullbar, matching rear bumper and rollbar powdercoated black, sump guard that extends from the bullbar to the rear of the gearbox & 4" lift kit with modified trailing arms to run 28" tyres. I don't think anyone in Aust. off-roads these old rigs anymore.

Im going to do the 6 lug conversion to my brat. If i was to put a 4 inch lift on it would anyone know exactly whats the biggest size tire i could put on there without it rubbing to bad? It will have 15 inch wheels.

I dont want to have to just go buy a tire to see what it is.

anyone on here have a 4inch lifted brat that could help me with this?

Thanks.

Im going to do the 6 lug conversion to my brat. If i was to put a 4 inch lift on it would anyone know exactly whats the biggest size tire i could put on there without it rubbing to bad? It will have 15 inch wheels.

I dont want to have to just go buy a tire to see what it is.

anyone on here have a 4inch lifted brat that could help me with this?

Thanks.

I personally wouldn't run anything over a 27" tire. I can't remember does your Brat have dual range? That will be a limiting factor on tire size as well

are you asking about dual range on the 4wd? if your asking about that is just one range, 4 wheel drive or not. I pretty sure thats how it is. I only drove it once down the alley bc the tires that are on there go flat so fast so im not 100% positive. lol

There would be a sticker next to the 4WD lever that said dual range. I think if you have the 1800 motor than it should be dual range. Not positive though. If you only have single range than you will have a very hard time on trails especially if you put large tires on.

Cool thanks, it has the gear shifter, 4wd shifter and thats it. :(

That's ok it's all the same shifter. If it has dual range the first "click" will be 4WD hi and then the second will be 4WD lo, or something along those lines(I know its a little different in Gen 1 cars)

oh!! I have shifted it a few times and it really seems like there is only 2 different spots i can put the shifter in. Do you know if it was a dual range would i have to move the shifter left or right to find a different range?

Thanks for the help.

Nope it's just straight back and forth. You might not have it. If you have the EA81 motor, it wouldn't be too difficult to swap a dual range in. A 4 spd dual range would be a direct swap, but with a little more work you could put a 5 spd dual range!:banana: Take some pics, maybe we could tell if it's dual range or not.

yes! But if you could find a dual range tranny, it would swap in fairly easy!!

no really....

his ea71 would have the top-center starter and the 81 D/R is the only one like that. to fit the later d/r he would need to make sure the engine is one of the later ea71 "fat case" blocks, and then find a mid 80's ea71 bell housing (side mount starter) to fit to his ea71.

Kelly, where is the EA71 stamp on your engine. front by the dity, or rear by the oil fill tube....?

no really....

his ea71 would have the top-center starter and the 81 D/R is the only one like that. to fit the later d/r he would need to make sure the engine is one of the later ea71 "fat case" blocks, and then find a mid 80's ea71 bell housing (side mount starter) to fit to his ea71.

Kelly, where is the EA71 stamp on your engine. front by the dity, or rear by the oil fill tube....?

yeah I know these are possibilities but there are always options!:banana: He could go all out and if he had to he could swap motors. But I'm also pretty sure he said he had an EA81, that's why I said this