Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got a junker runnin!

Well my brother and i went to the junk yard today and found an especially "good" looking soob.... so we decided to see if we could get it to run. sure enough about 2 hours later we were driving around the yard! haha! Anyhow, i tried to buy it from the guy, but he wanted 400 for it, which i really didnt want to pay, as it did have a few issues... 84 dl wagon.... would have saved it for 200, but 400 is a bit steep. anyhow, just thought I'd post this up as it was a killer time, and i know ya'll will appreciate it, since no one in my own family thinks its cool! haha :banana: anyways, if anyone wants a wagon for $400, let me know!!! :grin:

it is 4wd, but it doesnt have hi/lo (which sucks cuz i REALLY want hi/lo). Anyhow, the only things i can tell that is wrong with it just from tinkering for a little while is that the ebrake lever doesnt work, i put it into 4wd and now cant get it out, the brakes go to the floor, when it's idling (i didnt even have a bettery in it, and it sat there and ran like a champ:banana:) the exhaust doesnt smell like ANYTHING... just smells basically like air! But as soon as you give it any gas, it smoke out the tail pipe like CRAZZZZY, and there is oil in the air filter compartment..... which i dont know if thats due to the owner filling it too full with oil, or soething worse... and the seats are shot.... that's all i can tell so far.... :eek:

unfortunately it will have a salvage title also if ya buy it. I've known too many people taking there cars to the big yard in the sky for MINOR stuff because they were not car people. Also know a few who, like you, got some cars from the yards up and running and purchased them to boot. Example- nice, clean RX7. Needed an alternator. Cost my friend $400 to buy it.

:-\yeah, i know, the guy screwed me.... he told me $300, no problem, then i said ok, went to do the paperwork and all, and he said "oh, i guess actually $400" blah blah blah... jerk. i tried to trade him for my 300zx, but that didnt work either! haha. Anyhow, one plus that there would be is that its sitting next to 10 other subarus, so if i go to the yard i could potentially put in all new seats and a new hatch (the one on this one is banged up) as well as all new interior pieces etc BEFORE i drive it out of the yard and hte guy would never know.... which would be sweet, and worth the extra $100..... BUT I'm just concerned with the things that are wrong with it as i do not know how to diagnose them.... if anyone has any thoughts on what might be wrong woth it based on what i said, that would be good...:-\

I wouldnt worry about the seats or the tranny, or even the brakes. If you have a trailer then screw with the brakes when you get home, if not, check the fluid, fill/bleed the system then check for leaks. Prolly just got driven to death and needs new pads. the tranny, just swap it out with a 5 speed D/R cuz you will want one later anyways :banana: You already solved the seat problem, and the oil in the airbox is prolly a bad PCV, no big deal. It runs, it drives, its reasonably priced, TAKE IT!!!!:grin: all the little things can be fixed later

-Bill