Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another quick question... Are the gear ratios the same for the Imp ATs up to 00 also??

logic says they would be or at least a very close variation. the most i can figure out is that subaru makes 3 ring gears, 37, 39 & 40 teeth and 2 pinion gears, 9 & 10 teeth. (plus the odd ball 11 tooth pinion for the svx).

these gears allow for the gear ratios we are most familiar, 3.7, 3.9, 4.11, 4.44, but there are other possible ratios.

so my guess is imprezas use some combination of these existing gears. you can do some research at http://opposedforces.com/parts/ and find the actual part numbers for the gears in the diff in question and compare them to another.

but, i may be wrong, so do your homework.

Edited by johnceggleston

ok thats a start.. now how about 2 yrs ahead? i am looking specifically for a 99 impreza thats the tranny i am going with for my lego

I'm not sure. But I know that when I had a question about this one time, I called the dealer and they were able to look it up for me. So maybe you could try that? I mean I would think it would be the same, but of course I don't know for sure

i look at the rear diffs listed in the opposed forces parts lookup website and the diff ratios appear to be same as the legacy for the late 90s.

2.2L man - 3.9

2.2L 4eat - 4.11

2.5L man - 4.11

2.5L 4eat - 4.44

1.8L was the same as 2.2L, and pre 95 was not necessarily the same post 95.

but again, i just looked this up and i may be wrong, or the web site may be wrong.

ok thats a start.. now how about 2 yrs ahead? i am looking specifically for a 99 impreza thats the tranny i am going with for my lego

you need to check more than just the dif ratio, the 99 legacy trans changed in the early part of that manufacture year. in 99 they went to a trans with a TZ1A2ZJEBA (outback) part number rather than the 98 version TZ102Z2DBA (outback), the TZ1A2Z... is a phase 2 trans.

this change in the legacy trans included a wiring change. you need to find out which trans the 99 used and which trans your other car used. impreza may have changed a year earlier or later (earlier i think?). using the "new" phase 2 trans will require a lot of wire splicing and figuring out.

what year are you putting the trans in? does the 99 have a spin on trans filter? compare the wiring connectors to make sure they match.

Edited by johnceggleston

95 legacy uses a TZ102ZAAAA. you can use any legacy 2.2L trans from 95 - 98 as long as it starts with TZ102ZA...

impreza part numbers for the same time frame are similar but some check is in order. but you can probably use a 95 - 96 (maybe 97?) impreza 2.2L trans as long as the trans part number starts with TZ102ZA...., but this crossover is unusual and it's going to take some research to be sure it will work.

there is a chance you can use an impreza as early a 93, but 95 is usually a break point so i would stick with 95 - 96/97 as long as the trans part number starts off with TZ102ZA.....

have you looked here?

www.car-part.com

you'll have to search for legacy, 95, 96, 97, 98 etc., as listed above, but you'll have lots to choose from.

sort your search by 'distance'. a 450$ trans in town costs the same as a 300$ trans you have to ship for 150$.

these guys list one for 175$,

Alliance Auto Parts USA-NY(Woodside) Request_Quote 1-800-323-4500

Edited by johnceggleston

ok i am getting that 175 trans

this is the trans code TZ102Z2ABA

will it work?... do i have to change the TCU

hmmmmmmm

if the part number you listed is correct, it has the 4.44 diff ratio, you will need the matching rear diff. the trans part number you listed is for a 96 outback, (2.5L or 2.2L, same trans, the only time a 2.2 had the 4.44 rear diff). you need a trans part number which starts with TZ102ZA ......

you cannot have a '2' right after the second z, it has to be an 'A' after the second z.

Edited by johnceggleston

if the part number you listed is correct, it has the 4.44 diff ratio, you will need the matching rear diff. the trans part number you listed is for a 96 outback, (2.5L or 2.2L, same trans, the only time a 2.2 had the 4.44 rear diff). you need a trans part number which starts with TZ102ZA ......

you cannot have a '2' right after the second z, it has to be an 'A' after the second z.

If all he needs is a matching rear diff, that's awesome! That just means lower gears for off road!!