Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'97 Impreza: Interference engine?

I believe 97' was the first year of the interference EJ22......overall though the 2.2 is a MUCH better engine in my opinion than any 2.5...190k is alot of miles....do you have an maintaince history on the vehicle?...do a search on here...you will find tons of info on such things as what to check for when purchasing, common problems, and general info....personally i have a 96' EJ22 5 speed and ive only owned the car for like 30k miles but the original engine is still running along at 198k....i did have to replace the trans at 180k though....

Hey,

I did a search for timing belts for the '95-'97 EJ22 and so far this is what I have come up with:

"Dayco Timing Belt

App: 1995-1997 Subaru Impreza

Brand: Dayco

Part #: DY95172

Notes: "DAYCO TIMING BELT -- Camshaft, 66.5 in. Effective Length, 1.19 in. Top Width, 211 Teeth, No Interference Engine, Features Self-Lubricating Fabric That Provides Exceptional Resistance To Abrasion Resulting In Extended Pulley And Belt Life, The Molded COG Design Runs Quieter And Is More Economical Than Chain Drives,..."

Still don't have a definite answer. Will keep looking. A friend of mine had a '98 sedan with 283,000 miles. From when he bought it at 278,000 miles, until he totaled it at 283,000 miles, he beat the living crap out of it. Straight into curbs, catching air, powersliding everywhere. It still drove under it's own power onto the tow truck after the crash. I don't drive like a moron, so this car may very well last a long time.

thats good....im 99% sure 97 EJ22 IS an interference engine...do some searching I've talked about this before with people on here....I also dont beat on my legacy...i think im like the 4th or 5th owner though and i knew most of the previous owners and my car did not have an easy life at all....i think now that i own it its happy to get a break and get taken good care of...lol... here we are... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine#EJ22_Enhancements_and_Improvements some good info....also might want to check out http://www.cars101.com and http://www.endwrench.com for some more good Subie Info....

97 EJ22s are interference engines... the key thing to look for is a single port exhaust on the head. If it has it, it will crash the valves into the pistons when the belt breaks. Dual port exhausts do not crash.

Don't buy a Dayco belt, I have seen too many aftermarket belts break prematurely and cause engine failure, all to save a few bucks. It just does not seem worth it.

This is very confusing. All and I still don't understand any benefit of interference engines other than added revenue to dealerships to replace the damn belts!

I think my entire decision on buying this car will come down to this issue. I can get a lower mileage Legacy wagon for the same price with the bulletproof freewheeling EJ22. I've got a Vanagon with a '90 Legacy motor and it's never given me trouble.

Well from what i understand interference engines give you more power (in Subarus case at least)...I would not go off of soley this factor when purchasing a vehicle....especially an EJ22 Subaru....as long as proper maintaince is/has been done nothing should happen...

Hey,

I suppose you are right. The woman who owns it knows she had the timing belt replaced, she's just looking through work orders to see when. I just want to make sure it's either not going to round out right away or to replace it right away (whether I do it in my class - mechanic in training or pay the local dealer to do it). I had a Hyundai Excel where I thought it was due for a repair - I was called a hypochondriac and told "it will be fine for now", by heeding that advice, the timing belt snapped and the car was worthless.

97 EJ22s are interference engines... the key thing to look for is a single port exhaust on the head. If it has it, it will crash the valves into the pistons when the belt breaks. Dual port exhausts do not crash.

Don't buy a Dayco belt, I have seen too many aftermarket belts break prematurely and cause engine failure, all to save a few bucks. It just does not seem worth it.

The single port means nothing for valve collision. 97 Model year 2.2 is interference.

Its true on the power increase of interference.

Get a real Subaru dealer part for the belt. Request the california spec 2.2 belt if you can...these are rated at 105K miles. Id also replace the water pump, thermostat and gasket, and the tensioner if it has a blue idler bearing that is part of it and not a barrel tensioner.

The single port means nothing for valve collision. 97 Model year 2.2 is interference.

Its true on the power increase of interference.

Get a real Subaru dealer part for the belt. Request the california spec 2.2 belt if you can...these are rated at 105K miles. Id also replace the water pump, thermostat and gasket, and the tensioner if it has a blue idler bearing that is part of it and not a barrel tensioner.

+5, the 97 is first year for interference, but OEM subaru parts other wise you will be replacing them again early.

also 190K is nothing for a 2.2 engine, as long as it was maintained, meaning oil changes on time and timing belt on time it will go ALOT longer. my EJ22 in my 96 impreza outback sport has 222057 right now and it runs STRONG. ive seen MANY MANY cars some into my work with the orignal drivetrain still with over 500K on it in the first gen legacy's.

97 is interference. don't worry about literature that is misleading or wrong (no shortage of that on the interweb!). call Subaru if you need to.

at 190,000 miles the timing belt is hardly the main concern. ill be right in line with proclaiming the integrity and value of the EJ22 (that's why my wife drives one..well, for now). knowing vehicles that "make it to" x mileage is anecdotal and not a good reason/way to make a decision.

the timing belt pulleys are the main concern at that age and mileage. i never pull 10+ year old vehicles timing belts and find all the pulleys to be in acceptable shape to expect another 60k/100k out of. the pulleys are never anywhere nearly as tight and smooth as brand new.

you can search here and find posts on pulleys seizing or failing and taking the belt...and engine, with them.

get the car you want and replace all the timing components, not just the belt. EJ22 stuff is on ebay, entire kits for only $80. many of us on here use them, buy the kits and a subaru belt.

if you're a mechanic in training, just replace the belt yourself, Subaru timing belts are really easy.

So, here is a picture of the car in question. The woman is very honest about the car, it seems. She had the timing belt replaced when she bought it, but said it might be about due. Replaced the clutch when she bought it, has snow tires. No major rust. Everything works - needs nothing major to run as it is. Is about due for an oil change and probably want to replace that timing belt at around 200,000 or so. Has 193,100 miles now.

DSCN1798.jpg

Think $1,200 is fair for it?

Edited by Bubs360

yes $1,200 is a fair price. you can typically get one with that kind of mileage cheaper, but if the owner is honest, fair, and has lots of maintenance records the extra price is justified.

the fewer owner, detailed records vehicles are hands down the best.

you still want to replace all the timing belt components (ebay kits = $80). just look up the threads with bent valves or loosing a belt because one pulley fails if you're not sure what i'm talking about. it happens.

it's high miles, so i wouldn't expect 50,000 trouble free miles out of it. but it shouldn't be anything major if you keep it from overheating and running out of oil.

subaru's are really easy to work on - stuff like starters, alternators, a/c compressors, belts, are all very simple to replace. all of those are items that usually need replaced at some point.

yes $1,200 is a fair price. you can typically get one with that kind of mileage cheaper, but if the owner is honest, fair, and has lots of maintenance records the extra price is justified.

the fewer owner, detailed records vehicles are hands down the best.

you still want to replace all the timing belt components (ebay kits = $80). just look up the threads with bent valves or loosing a belt because one pulley fails if you're not sure what i'm talking about. it happens.

it's high miles, so i wouldn't expect 50,000 trouble free miles out of it. but it shouldn't be anything major if you keep it from overheating and running out of oil.

subaru's are really easy to work on - stuff like starters, alternators, a/c compressors, belts, are all very simple to replace. all of those are items that usually need replaced at some point.

I've always been a fan of Subarus, I have a 1990 Legacy motor in my '84 Vanagon. My friend had a '98 sedan I mentioned earlier with 280,000 miles and it hardly even needed regular maintenance - and he beat the hell out of it. This one should last me a long time if I actually take care of it! I have dealt with timing belt failure and know the horrors that ensue.

What eBay seller has this good $80 kit?

Edited by Bubs360

1200 is a great price for that car, here in washington that would be a $4K car easy.

but it, replace the timing belt and idles/tensioners, water pump, and do the oil change and enjoy the car.

if it was maintained 300K+ is no problem.

Cool - this is why I love Subarus! I am selling my Prelude today, so I am planning on taking a look at this car tomorrow or Monday. I'll keep you guys posted. I love a car with a good community around it!

Cool - this is why I love Subarus! I am selling my Prelude today, so I am planning on taking a look at this car tomorrow or Monday. I'll keep you guys posted. I love a car with a good community around it!

Definately....There are so many smart people and sooo much info. on Subies here....as well as the so many other forums....