Ultimate Subaru Message Board

:banana: 21 mpg!! '86 gl-10 ea81

:banana: :banana: 21 mpg!! '86 gl-10 ea81 :banana: :banana:

if'n you don't know, '86 gl-10 pb 4x4 5spd, with ea81 engine and rad, with ea82 intake and carb, and also xt6 alt.

most driving 55-60 mph in 4th gear, 3,000 to 3,300 rpm, and some strong wind

fuel: 50% e85 and 50% 90 octane from sinclair

4x4 and cruise control, what a nice combo :grin:

this was my commute back home from 51334 to 50156 route: hwy 4 to hwy 7 to P29, hwy 4 to hwy 210 to hwy 17 160 miles and 3 hours

going up here hwy 17 to hwy 30 to hwy 4

no matter what way I go, it's the same distance and time

this weekend going up to MN for engines and trans, +

• 1 month later...

Same trip/rout with the newly acquired 92 loyal, 26 mile to the gallon. Ohh yah!!! Best mile to the gallon vehicle I have. Just had to rub it in though I would trade you a couple of miles to the gallon for your cruise control.

Going 70+ mph highway my ea82t MPFI turbo XT with a 5 speed manual got 25mpg. That's the only reading I have from it, since it broke down at school, lol. It should be better with the new ignition parts I put in. I expected the car to get 30+ mpg with the light weight, aerodynamics, and 5 speed. I'll have to take many more mileage readings.

Going 70+ mph highway my ea82t MPFI turbo XT with a 5 speed manual got 25mpg. That's the only reading I have from it, since it broke down at school, lol. It should be better with the new ignition parts I put in. I expected the car to get 30+ mpg with the light weight, aerodynamics, and 5 speed. I'll have to take many more mileage readings.

You won't get 30 from the turbo engine.

Maybe if you drive without boosting it EVER.

25 is honestly about the best you'll get

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I got ~22 on the last road trip with the turbowagon. Had my wife, kid, and three large dogs, doing 75-80. I don't think I could maintain anything over about 60 without boost.

Auto, AWD, and subpar cruise. I think there's a bad check valve or a leak in the vacuum reservoir somewhere.