Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Eric's trail wagon build, 56K b/w!

SoobieDoo

Your Tcase is 4 low, 4 high and front wheel drive? I don't think I knew of that combo. I'm going to have to get me one of those for my super slow build! Do you know if these just bolt up to a 5spd trans?

99% of the dual-range trannies in the US are that way. only a handful of them are full-time dual range (locking center diff, no FWD option).

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason I always thought it was single range with selectable 4 wheel or front wheel, or dual range full time. This news pleases me.

nope, the full-time dual-ranges are fairly rare, and only have a 1.2:1 low range. the part time ones are quite common, and have a 1.6:1.

• 2 months later...

Here's some pics of the NWOG stickers and some body work I've done :grin:

DSC01359.jpg

DSC01360.jpg

Time for a EJ...:banana:

The stock engine has a blown head gasket and I'm not putting any more money into a EA82 with over 200K.

Started cheap and easy, while waiting on my tax $. This is a ac cond. pusher out of a '01-02 Kia Sportage...and could very well be the holy grail for EJ swaps. Not including soldering the Subaru plug on it, we're talking like 5 minutes to figure out how to mount it.

DSC01361.jpg

Bolted through existing hole:

DSC01362.jpg

And both bottom mounting ears can be cable tied or bolted:

DSC01363.jpg

DSC01364.jpg

...It has begun :eek:

I picked up the bulk of what I need for the EJ swap today. :headbang:

'94 EJ22, complete harness with relays, ECU, header, & air box:

DSC01368.jpg

DSC01367.jpg

Legacy seats need some cleaning and one tear to patch. Will be far better than my broken-down ones that are puking foam on the carpet:

DSC01365.jpg

computer case, fan not included:

DSC01366.jpg

Now the real fun begins!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Made some progress today :banana:

I actually started the EJ swap two days ago, but only had a couple of hours after work to help Scott prepare the shop and start disconnecting stuff. Today was the first of three days off to get 'er done. The EJ is now bolted in and radiator all hooked up!

DSC01369.jpg

DSC01370.jpg

Many thanks to Scott!!! The shop and tools, knowledge, and he helped out a lot, installing the clutch and milling the flywheel on the spot.

DSC01372.jpg

DSC01384.jpg

DSC01385.jpg

DSC01387.jpg

DSC01388.jpg

Tomorrow will get a new fuel pump, plug in the ECU and harness, hook up everything else, and hopefully test fire. :grin:

Edited by SoobieDoo
additions

Major setback today. It had never occurred to me that the engine harness may not plug into the rest. :banghead:

I've got 3 plugs on one, and 2 on another, so it's either swap the engine harness or carb it.

DSC01390.jpg

Everything else is done now, I just need it to run then wrap up the exhaust.

Here's the mess :grin:

DSC01397.jpg

It didn't fire up right away, but I'm tracking down codes now. Whatever happened to my three days to get 'er done!!!

~E

Looks like a nightmare, at least you'll know what goes where and what does what, by the time it gets going:).

Jeff

Looks like a nightmare, at least you'll know what goes where and what does what, by the time it gets going:).

Jeff

So true, and this wiring troubleshooting is what seems to give everyone the most probs.

damn i have seen many many wiring harnesses like that. just subarus though.

wish you luck. will be watching closely i have been having thoughts on the same swap.

so far so good though. good work man.

We'll see if it's good work, if I don't give up and carb it :lol:

Did some more buttoning up of the EJ swap today. I found a massive fuel leak where a hose had come loose from the fuel pump. :mad: All it needed was a new clamp, but now my fuel gauge isn't working. That may be due to the gauge cluster just floating in place, though. Fixed the racing engine by loosening the throttle cable some and grounding the AT/MT pin off the ecm, and hooked up the speed signal to the cluster. It's getting there SLOWLY but surely! :grin:

• 3 weeks later...

The EJ swap is basically done. :banana::banana::banana::banana:

I still need to loom up the harness, ammo box the ECU, and get an aftermarket oil sender, but that doesn't keep it from getting me around. As an additional "upgrade", I'll be swapping out the ECU and MAF for the correct ones soon. :eek:

Today I worked on comfort, by finally getting the legacy seats installed. Easiest mod so far, with the frame rail holes the same exact width. So by drilling new holes for the rear bolts, the rails bolt right on. They do sit a bit higher than the stock ones, but I'll like that for normal driving. I may just have to dork out and wear a helmet off-road, though.

th_DSC01407.jpg th_DSC01406.jpg

Yes, I know the color doesn't match, and the driver's seat is patched, but at least I won't have a numb a$$ anymore driving to Mt. Hood.

So I'm a:

redneck_haircut.jpg

Not much left on the original to do list...future plans are all pretty minor. Skid plate, exhaust, bumpers, cargo rack, and winch. Maybe a converted ABS front locker!?!

It's well worth the trouble!!!

I hadn't used 5th gear in over a year, and now I can cruise comfortably at prob 75 or so. Still haven't tried it off road yet, but I'm sure the improvement there will be just as substantial. I'd say it was only about $450, but that's not including the adapter plate or new clutch.