Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MY 95 2.2 auto with 162,xxx miles. The engine runs well, no check engine light. If I let the engine idle in P or N, the car feels OK, but when I put it in gear(D or R or any other gear selection) with the brakes applied, I can feel the vibe thru the whole car.

Any advice? Could be engine/trany mounts?

Thanks

so it vibrates immediately, before you're even moving?

when was the last tune up? the EJ's should give a cylinder misfire check engine light, but i've seen stranger things happen. a rough running engine can often feel worse when put in gear.

check ATF level.

sounds like mounts. they're usually not bad after 10 years and only 160,000 miles, but that's not young either for a piece of rubber.

yes, it vibrates right the way when in gear, before I was even moving.

The spark plugs are about 10,000 miles but I guess I will replace them(NGK)

Wires look OK

How do I check engine/trany mounts? I tried to move/rock the engine itself but it seems pretty stable in there.

Thanks again

so it vibrates immediately, before you're even moving?

when was the last tune up? the EJ's should give a cylinder misfire check engine light, but i've seen stranger things happen. a rough running engine can often feel worse when put in gear.

check ATF level.

sounds like mounts. they're usually not bad after 10 years and only 160,000 miles, but that's not young either for a piece of rubber.

My old 95 Legacy used to do it all the time. A couple of years ago there was a couple of threads about that era model shaking the open windows it was so bad.

What RPMs at idle do you have for neutral and in drive now?

I'm not sure if you're having the same problem but if no mechanical solution presents itself other than a tune up or checking the TPS, knock sensor or coolant temp sensor you may have to just live with it.

pearlm30, my strongest suggestion would be to read through the following thread,with a focus on post #2 by SmashPDX:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2489&highlight=vibration

This is by far the most informative post on the dreaded auto trans vibration in gear that I have read. Yes, I had the same problem when I replaced both axles on my '97 L auto.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I do remember it started to vibrate after I replaced the front axles. I might get the axles from MWE( if I can afford ) or from a late model phase ! forester@ the junk yard.

Thanks again

Let your axles wear in for a while and it should subside.