Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My wifes '95 Leg 2.2 w/ auto trany needs a trany

flush.

I am getting a few confusing suggestions though.

What fluid is recommended. I've heard Dextron II or III.

Another source said you have to add a friction modifier??

What say ye??

Thanks as always....... you guys rock.

As far as I know, when Dextron is improved they give it a higher number. Dextron 3 is what is being sold right now. Dextron 3 will work in any application calling for Dextron ATF.

Dextron 3 is what I use in my two Subies. If you are handy with a wrench, you can change the ATF yourself. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the tranny pan. Pull the plug, drain the ATF, but any drain only takes out about half of the fluid. So, the ATF needs to be drained and refilled three times to get a new fluid exchange. Drive a few miles between changes. Doing this requires a little work, but is a lot cheaper then having a power flush done.

IMO, no need for any additives, including a friction modifier. Good clean ATF is all you need.

Just for info, the campaign on the 90 Legacy's was to add an inline filter because the radiators have a screen in them that was determined to be to fine, and clogged very easily. This screen was blamed for many premature trans failures. So the fix was to backflush the screen and install the inline filter before the fluid entered the radiator. Back in the day I recall doing hundreds of these.

In the interest of clarity:

There is no such thing as Dexron II or III any more

They don't license it any more. Lots of fluids still claim that they are Dexron II and III, but since there is no license for it any more, you cannot know whether it actually meets the spec any more. It's also the case that MANY of the companies that make Dex III type fluids changed their formulations after the licenses were no longer being issued. So don't think that just because they say it's OK, that it's actually a Dex III fluid.

GM (who licenses Dexron fluids) says to use Dexron VI in place of all previous Dexrons. Subaru says to use their proprietary ATF now in older vehicles in place of Dexron II or III. The thing is, the new Subaru ATF and Dexron VI are quite different fluids.

So in the end, you have 2 recommendations to use 2 noticeably different fluids in an older Subaru, which was designed around a fluid that is different than either of those two.

What is a boy to use? It appears that one may choose at their own peril.

FYI my GF's 2006 Impreza has a weird tranny fluid spec. Seems to me the 2007's have another.

Anyways after research and calls I ended up using Wolf's Head Universal Synthetic.

I've used their products for years (through atleast 2 sales of the company).

Anyways so far, so good. And her fluid was really, really nasty at 50k.

Dave

So in the end, you have 2 recommendations to use 2 noticeably different fluids in an older Subaru, which was designed around a fluid that is different than either of those two.

What is a boy to use? It appears that one may choose at their own peril.

[/size][/size][/size]

And here I felt good about Dextron before this...... And

now.......... My head hurts!! Yikes.

quality is more important then getting confused with the so called specialty oils out there...especially for an older car such as yours...you wouldn't go wrong useing.. (google) " Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF "...japanese automotive society approved...can be bought from almost any parts store