Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

I've been in the market for a used Subaru for quite some time now, and have an opportunity to buy a used SVX. Transmission was replaced recently, I guess. I've heard sometimes the transmission issue is actually just a solenoid or something, but that's the extent of my knowledge about the SVX.

Could someone here give me some more information about how the car is, in general, to own and operate? Is it somewhat normal to maintain or is it a nightmare? What other problem areas do these cars have? This one, with a good transmission, seems to be a great deal for the price.

Thanks in advance.

yes.

Svx issues are from the lockup clutch chedding material. You need a an external cooler and an external line filter for the tranny.

They are expensive toys. The windshield is 800.00. the rear wheel bearings are weak. Parts are expensive.

Strong engines, very safe cars.

Automatic HVAC which seems to be aging well.

They are almost like a trophy wife. really pretty, expensive, but may be worth every penny.

great cars with some hang ups.

being as old as it is, regardless of mileage it's probably due for a timing belt overhaul.

parts can be extremely expensive and hard to find. i've actually not been able to find a part for an SVX before (sensors). posting on multiple forums, asking Huck (local SVX expert), ebay, national junk yard database - zip. that's annoying.

of course you'd want to join the SVX forum.

Its a great car, and keeping the tranny cool help a lot so put in a cooler. I keep a spare for parts, other then that the best place for parts is 1stsubaruparts.com which is on the west coast. They have a parts catalog that you can look up many parts on, and if you can't find the one your looking for call them.

Good luck

Hey,

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty much out on this car because the guy never got back to me, so I won't need any more info on the SVX for the time being. Thank you.

Come over and have a look anyway, we do have a few for sale on my forums and I'm not far from the lakes myself.:)