Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Both rear breaks fail at the same time?

What would cause both of my rear drum breaks in my 79 brat to start spewing break fluid inside the drums at the same time with no warning?

I've been driving this thing around Seattle for a week now, and the breaks have been fine, just a felt like they needed to be bleed. I was driving it around this morning and all of the sudden I lost almost all pressure. I had to drive it 5 blocks breaking with the e-brake to avoid nut jobs j-walking and hope the dumb white chick in the Audi A4 on my rump roast could find her break petal as fast as her horn.

I got to my parking spot and both rear wheels and tires are soaked with break fluid, what gives?

Be Specially Carefull with the High Pressure Rubber Hoses that brings the Fluid from the Body`s Pipes to the Cylinders... at that Age, they usually crack & Fail easy, so I Suggest that if you found them Worn, install New ones... they Worth it.

Good Luck!

Are you talking about the soft lines that link from the stainless lines from the master cylinder to the Stainless line running to my wheel cylinder?

BTW, I love Subaru more than ever now... The first time I did drums was on a 98 Grand AM (POS car) and the next time was on my S-10. Both times it took me over an hour to get the drums off. It took me 10 minutes from jacking the Brat up tell I had the wheel cylinder off.

They are both of equal age, so it can happen, but its a really long shot. I would also inspect all your brakelines and brake hardware. it sounds like alot of parts are just tired.

nipper

I agree, the last time the car had tabs was 98. So far I've replaced the water pump, oil pump, fuel pump, coil, rebuilt the carb, replaced the rotor cap, dizzy cap, plug wires, plugs, tires, vacuum lines and now the wheel cylinder's.

The master cylinder was replaced just before I got it, and a clutch kit installed.

I still need to drop the exhaust and weld the holes and replace the muffler. I also need to replace the heating ductwork and put the dash back in, as is the console is using duct tape AND wire to hold it to the steering collar.

My wife puts a base ball cap and sun glasses on when we go to the store...

Are you talking about the soft lines that link from the stainless lines from the master cylinder to the Stainless line running to my wheel cylinder?...

Yes! ... I Believe those are that Soft Lines.

Maybe you can Post Pics of your Brat... the Dash issue, I had Problems with my `69 Mercury`s dash, it was Soo Damaged due to Age, Sun, etc... So I Made a Custom Wooden one... Maybe that idea could Help.

Kind Regards!