Ultimate Subaru Message Board

06 Outback 2.5 'dead zone'

I checked all the 'hesitation' posts and couldn't find my problem. Our non-turbo Outback has a full-throttle response delay of a full second, and then departure is 'leisurely'. There are no TSBs on the car.

I had the car in for an oil change so anted up the $50.00 for a diagnostic and it all came back clean. The tech said it drives like all the others.

Our 2000 Legaback would chirp the tires when floored on dry pavement, and I'm afraid to pull out into traffic in this one. It behaves just like a carb with a sticky float.

Any ideas? :confused:

[...]The tech said it drives like all the others.[...]

If the dealer has a used '06 on the lot, ask to take it on a test drive. If its performance is significantly better than yours, consider asking for your $50 back and finding another servicer.

Hesitation can be caused by several things. It can be due to ignition misfire, intake airflow obstruction or vacuum leaks, fuel delivery problems, etc. Those faults often don't generate OBD trouble codes until they become severe, but assuming you're willing to pay for the diagnostic time, the cause can be found anyway. What diagnostics were performed on your car, beyond scanning for codes?

Does the response lag occur at higher speeds (such as attempting to pass another car), or just from a stop, etc.? When were air filter, fuel filter, etc., last replaced?

The newer is a little heavier then your old one nad has larger tires. Also i do believe it is drive-by-wire which do have a lag for fulll throttle (it's getting better and toyota was the worst). The best way to deal with it is to manually downshift if you need full throttle.

There may be a re-flash out there for ecu/tcu but I cant seem to find one.

There may not be much you can do about it.