Ultimate Subaru Message Board

We got about 4-6 inches here and it was the first snowfall with my new ('00) Outback. I have to say I miss my old '91 Legacy wagon. I don't know if it is the general dynamics of the car or the wider tires. My old Soob would have kicked this one's rear. Not really happy.

I've owned 3 OBW's over the years, a 97 with 195/75/15 snows, an 02 with 225/60/16 snows, and my present 07 shoed with 205/60/16 snows.

The 97 would absolutely fly through just about any snow conditions with rock solid grip. I was talked into going with the same snow tire size as the stock summer tires were on my 02, and what a mistake. The 225 tires were just too wide to get anywhere near the same traction and speed as the narrower tires on the 97. They felt like they were aquaplaning when you got up too much of a head of steam, and you were forced to slow down dramatically.

Well I kept the 16 inch winter rims from the 02 when I purchased the 07 OBW. And I went with the narrowest winter tire that would fit correctly on the rims, a 205. I'm back to the same winter driving experience I recall that I had on the 97. The narrow winter tires make THAT MUCH difference. Just make sure that your tire dealer knows his stuff, and doesn't put on a tire that is too narrow for the width of the rim, worse than dangerous.

I am blaming tires. I had a brand new set of Uniroyal Tiger Paws (185/70-14) on the old Soob. I now have a set of Bridgestone Potenza (225/60-16) on the new one. Skinny tires are MUCH better in the snow.

My 03 OB had those crappy Bridgestones. Now it has Coopers and is MUCH better in the snow.

I plan on keeping this car a long time. Well, as long as I can make it last. I had my '91 for 12 years. Hopefully, this one will last that long.

I should invest in a decent set of crappy rims and decent snow tires.

I imagine my rims are at least 7" wide. Can I go with a little narrower rim so I can run a skinnier tire? What other Subaru rims would fit safely on my car?