Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pics of my Turbowagon!

Ok, I went and got tires put on the wagon today for it's test drive, so I figured it's picture time too. I haven't washed it yet, but not bad for a $200 car, eh?

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

I picked up a set of Hakka's in Boise back just after I got the car. Little late for studded snows, but they have about 95% tread.

On edit:

I just realized you can plainly see my neighbor's ultra-gay mailbox. Gotta love personal expression. I'm gonna make a big Metallica one to counter it.

Edited by 4x4_Welder

Yup, it blew the front universal and ripped the rear housing apart:

IM000939.jpg

Got it all fixed up, though. New housing, made a bushing and crossmember, and threw it all back together. It needs exhaust gaskets, but aside from that it's not bad. I think I'm just going to cut up some aluminum sheet to make the gaskets, since the fiber/metal ones SUCK.

Maybe I should make more than just what I need-

Weird to see someone else here in the valley- Not sure how much longer I'll be in the area, though, I'm trying to move to Rexburg area.

I did fix my exhaust leak today, it turned out the gaskets were not blown just yet. The up-pipe broke right at the turbo flange, but it was a clean break so I just welded it back together. It sucked to do that, since I was hoping for that sort of a failure after I had money and materials together to do a nice stainless pipe and maybe a TD04. Maybe next time it breaks. At least it's getting good boost now, not far off idle either.

I did have an adventure today, though. I was on a parts run from work, going down my favorite little scenic byway, Murtaugh Road (down 500ft through a series of hairpin turns, across the river, then back up again): http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=42.497352,-114.151168&spn=0.018416,0.04549&t=p&z=15

I was all set to have a nice little pseudo-rally run, when I get stuck behind this boat of an SUV wobbling through there at 20. Finally get back up to the top, and I turned down the road towards Murtaugh, and hear a pronounced pop. The cabin filled with acrid smoke through the shifter hole, all I could see out back was a cloud, but it still ran smooth. Limped into the hardware store, and it had blown the coolant line to the turbo. Fixed it, let it cool while I picked up the parts I was after, filled it, and proceded back to the shop. I didn't dare flog it up the hill, since I needed to see if my new hose held. It just really pissed me off, since I couldn't have fun going either way through there, and it's a fun road. I flog my Courier through there, kick the rear out on the turns, pretend it has more than 90hp.

A Metallica mailbox? Now that sounds really neat :rolleyes:

Way to cover for yerselph.

On edit: I just realized you can plainly see my neighbor's ultra-gay mailbox. Gotta love personal expression. I'm gonna make a big Metallica one to counter it.

Nice lookin' wagon for two bills.