Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what nipper said. the in the pan "filter" isn't even a filter, it's a screen so don't bother ever replacing it. good news for once huh!?!?

ditto on what nipper said. A few years back I changed my filter screen. Upon dropping the pan, I found the fine mesh screen to be absolutely clean. However, I replaced the mesh screen just because that was the job I set out to do. Cleaning off the old pan gasket, and replacing it was a bear. That hard caked, burnt on gasket is a bear to remove. After replacing the gasket, the pan had a slight leak. It never leaked before. What a total waste of time changing the filter screen, then creating the problem of a leaky pan gasket. I learned my lesson. If it ain't broke..........don't fix it.

That hard caked, burnt on gasket is a bear to remove. After replacing the gasket, the pan had a slight leak.
sounds like a chapter out of my book! been there, done that! then the pan is warped or the holes are distorted and cut into the new gasket...blah blah blah....annoying indeed.

sounds like a chapter out of my book! been there, done that! then the pan is warped or the holes are distorted and cut into the new gasket...blah blah blah....annoying indeed.

Why are you using a gasket on a 4eat? Pan seals with Three-bond, no gasket.

I know there are cork gaskets available, but Subaru just used sealant, so do I