Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

I have a 1998 Imp OBS EJ22.

I need to change the starter but not so sure how. Do I need to remove the cleaner box thing to get access to it?

Is there any torque spec for the bolt and nuts or just as tight as I can get.

I know it's also a dump question but I can't seems to be able to get the air filter upper housing off. It is 2 clips on the side but when I try to remove it something seems to can't come loose @ the bottom. I hope I don't have to remove the MAF just to check the air filter...

Anyways, Thanks for any help!

Vincent

Whay are you chaing the starter, they rarely go bad, ist usually the solenoid contacts that go bad.

The air box can be a PITA sometimes. Sometimes there are more then two clips (I had a legacy with three.... go figure). Then wiggle it off at an angle ( a right angle to the direction of the sealing lip) Depending upon the brand of air filter that is in there, it can be putting up a bit of a fight. Some fit tighter then others.

nipper

Whay are you chaing the starter, they rarely go bad, ist usually the solenoid contacts that go bad.

The air box can be a PITA sometimes. Sometimes there are more then two clips (I had a legacy with three.... go figure). Then wiggle it off at an angle ( a right angle to the direction of the sealing lip) Depending upon the brand of air filter that is in there, it can be putting up a bit of a fight. Some fit tighter then others.

nipper

Ya, I think it's the solenoid but I can get a better deal with the whole starter.

I bought it through importexpert and it said it is reman. So I guess it should perform like new right?

Hold on to your old one. There is no standard for rebuilt/reman . They may have just replaced the contacts and repainted it.

nipper

Hold on to your old one. There is no standard for rebuilt/reman . They may have just replaced the contacts and repainted it.

nipper

wilco, just wondering though if there is a torque for the both and nuts for the starter. And is it a pretty straight forward replacement?