Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EZ30 in XT6???

Chew74

it's pointless to even ask someone who's done this swap. are you doing it yourself or paying someone else?

after that HUGE financial question there's still the problem of getting all the parts. this isn't wal-mart. depends what mileage, condition, how old, are you swapping the trans too, the yards you find, a wrecked car you buy, go to auctions, find a private seller, do you have a dealer license or know someone with one....???????

check out the going rate for used EZ30's, that will by far be the largest expense. if you're doing a manual trans swap at the same time best bet is the complete vehicle.

it's pointless to even ask someone who's done this swap. are you doing it yourself or paying someone else?

after that HUGE financial question there's still the problem of getting all the parts. this isn't wal-mart. depends what mileage, condition, how old, are you swapping the trans too, the yards you find, a wrecked car you buy, go to auctions, find a private seller, do you have a dealer license or know someone with one....???????

you're essentially talking a couple grand. check out the going rate for used EZ30's, that will by far be the largest expense. if you're doing a manual trans swap at the same time best bet is the complete vehicle.

Asking for info is not pointless.
i agree, pointless is a strong word. but i wasn't saying it in regards to "info", so that's out of context.

i was referring to cost, in which case you're still right pointless is a strong word!! that is why the rest of my post is about cost. i'm trying to help him. the first question is surely "who is doing the work".

what phil paid won't be what everyone else can expect to pay. the market for used newer gen engines and vehicles is highly subjective.

some times these kinds of questions get old. these kinds of posts usually result in no follow through. hasn't priced the engines, that takes less than a minute to price new and used engines? hasn't priced the vehicles? zero research, info, and knowledge. i shouldn't write everyone off though...patience isn't a virtue of mine sometimes.

Edited by grossgary

I found a possible XT6 on craigslist for $500, comes without engine and it has an automatic transmission. I've found $700 for a EG33 but for the EZ30 i've yet to find any real figures, at least in my area. The reason i posted this was for extra info someone might have because they did the same thing. This web site seems full of people with lots of experience. And if i were to do this, most the work would probably be done by me with help of trained mechanics who are friends. Its just one of few possible ideas for future projects. I just ask for the info to try to make the best decision on which one would be best to do. Sorry for testing your patience.

awesome, you're the one in 50 that sounds for real about this! why didn't you say so!?

used engine prices are all over the board and vary wildly. the EZ30 is a decade newer than the EG33 so the prices will be substantially more....unless you're lucky. you can buy an EG33 for $200 and the next one be $1,500. usually just time dependent, the longer you have to look the cheaper it will be.

the EG33 and EZ30 have both been done. if you get an XT6 you'll want to join our subaruxt.com forum for all your XT/XT6 specific information. both of the folks that did the EG33 and EZ30 swap are frequent members...like almost daily. then there's a number of EJ turbo swapped XT's as well.

so lots of info there.

but in general it all fits very easily. there's no real clearance issues or problems getting it in. just be sure to do all the timing belt stuff and valve cover gaskets before installing the engine!

Thank you for the support. Ya i found the PDF. on putting a EJ engine in an EA car ,i.e: XT, in the other thread and read it all. But while looking on the all great youtube i saw a dyno of a EZ30 XT6 which got me thinking. So i was just weighing the pros and cons of both. Although im young and new to this, im working hard to get the cash and the experience.

At the moment the cheaper EG33 seems nice for a kid on a budget.

It's my thread! Sorry I'm late to the party, but I don't get on here as much anymore.

The question of EG33 vs EZ30 is one of cost only really. Like said, I've found the EG for a few hundred dollars... in fact right before I decided on the EZ I was offered one for $250. $2k for an EZ at this point is a smokin deal. I paid a little over that for my wrecked VDC car and have sold very little else off of it. I also did get a whole lot of parts including the long block with wiring and ECU and everything else.

Other things to consider is that with the EG, you pretty much lose your A/C forever. It's also MUCH bigger then both the stock ER and the EZ in both dimension and weight. If you ask Huck (The EG33 XT-6 owner) he'll tell you that his car is nose heavy, and riding in it, you can tell it has a lot more understeer then even my FWD did stock.

The EZ on the other had is lighter and MUCH shorter. Where Huck has a few sheets of paper clearance between the front of the motor and the radiator, I have a few miles. The engine is also newer, which was my personal biggest motivation, my engine only had 75k on it. It also has a timing chain instead of belts and the EZ30D like I have is a bit less HP then the EG. The EZ30R will be much more expensive but also have 20 more hp the the EG.

Overall, either way is a good way to go, but you will have to swap that tranny. The EG seems like it's harder to get in the car, but easier to wire and cheaper overall for slightly more power, but possibly less handling.

As far as hardness, to me a swap's a swap. The engine bolts in, with a few mods and then you wire it up. If you feel you can tackle it, go for it. It really makes for one hell of a car either way. More power and better MPG... I've been getting about 27 MPG in mine... lets see a WRX do that!

So at this point the EG33 sounds like a better deal. The EZ30 has more pros, but with cost the EG33 is my pick. Im fine with no A/C and the handling i can handle. Im not really planning on to many sharp turns at high speeds.

Your best bet is to get a complete SVX and take the engine from it. you could sell the glass and other bits to SVX owners to help offset the cost of the project.

If you are going to get the engine and then get the harness and ECU and other bits, you are going to run into cost issues. Average cost of an EG33 on ebay is going to be $700.00 plus shipping. If this is a bear engine, then you will need ECU, harness, MAF, ignitors, coilpacks (100 bucks each), misc sensors. Most of these can be had at subaru-svx.net

try to look for someone parting out their SVXi.

If you can't get a complete car, I would reconsider getting the EG33. Piecing together an EG33 can get pretty expensive.

If the engine needs to be rebuild the OEM engine reseal kit for $350.00. Cometic sells a set of headgaskets for $140 or so. Coil packs are $100.00 each at Autozone. Ignitors and throttle position sensors are SVX specific.

I think that crank angle, cam, knock sensors, alternator, power steering,

and MAF, can be gotten off of a EJ engine.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwDue to the cost of scouring the internet for parts to rebuild the EG33, you might be able to get the EZ30 motor w/Harness & ECU.c