Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire seal on hammered paint?

I'm using hammerite on my new old nissans, and no, they're not worth powdercoating. Question is: Will a tire seal reliably on hammered paint, or should I just go smooth, except the surface? I likes the hammered look, and hiding surface imperfections is a bonus too! :banana:

Ever done the hammered paint on the wheels before?

There used to be a special paint company that made excellent stuff (I forget the name). Now Rustoleum or somebody makes some hammered. I brush painted (actually roll mostly) a box trailer's fenders that I have a few years ago. I must say stones and such knocked it off real easily. Like it was worse than the generic factory black paint.

My car hauler trailer white rims are getting pretty ugly/rusty. I was debating about hammered or tractor paint (it's definately NOT a show piece).

Probbaly not white if hammered - more like silver/grey.

Just wondering if anyone has used any hammered that has weathered well on wheels.

And yes - I'd certainly use bead sealer.

We used the hammered Black from Rustoleum on my mom's snow wheels, and it has held up great for about 6 years now. No problems at all with the bead sealing, and we used no bead sealant at that. We are now on the second set of snow tires and still going strong :banana:

-Bill

That's exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks Bill! So it can hold up real well.

Dave, it certainly sounds like an adhesion problem of some sort. :confused: I know the stuff to be one of the hardest, best one-part paints around...but a rock is a rock. I'm using the original hammerite brand and dobbing it on with a brush. That makes for an awesome, hammered look and it goes on much thicker than the spray too. I'm also not leaving one square inch of steel, that doesn't feel like 120 grit. Next best thing to powdercoat, at $15/ quart!

I couldn't find any Hammerite and had to use Rustoleum. I liked Hammerite.

I prepped well (no sense painting if you don't). And was disappointed with the results..

Could have been a bad batch I guess. I know it wasn't old since Rustoleum hadn't been making it that long. Ironically I own stock in Rustoleum(RPM).

I've got a whole open car trailer that needs painted. I'm debating between tractor paint(cheap, bullet proof), hammered, and believe it or not black bedliner paint. Should give it more grip (my light cars won't move around, no spinning tires in the rain when loading), and wear well - atleast on the treads.

A project that didn't get completed last year 'cause I was doing too many Subaru's.

Just wondering if anyone has used any hammered that has weathered well on wheels.

Haven't tried on on wheels, but I've done several of my cars in Hammerite (or the other brand -- hammerite seems a little better though) below the rubber door guards, because it's always getting hit by rocks down there. It does get dinged off, but no worse than anything else (if you properly prep the surface), and it's easy to just sand it a little, and respray it once every few years.

I've got a whole open car trailer that needs painted. I'm debating between tractor paint(cheap, bullet proof), hammered, and believe it or not black bedliner paint. Should give it more grip (my light cars won't move around, no spinning tires in the rain when loading), and wear well - atleast on the treads.

A project that didn't get completed last year 'cause I was doing too many Subaru's.

If it's an epoxy-based bedliner, that's gonna be best. I've added silica sand to hammerite with good results too. Your coverage will go to crap, but I used a stir-stick coated with the stuff as a wood rasp! :slobber: