Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 subaru wagon clutch very difficult to depress

Hello,

My Sub's clutch pedal is extremely difficult to push down. So much so, that my left leg is getting a workout every time I drive!

This car has 150k on it and I don't think the clutch has ever been replaced.

Is this the most likely problem or is it probably just the clutch cable that is sticky?

thanks.

an hour at most. i have brats and i know i had to remove pedal for access to pivot pin. just remember the buhings, clips and routing. compare new cable first to make sure ends are right. i had wrong one and luckily had other vehicle to drive.

an hour at most. i have brats and i know i had to remove pedal for access to pivot pin. just remember the buhings, clips and routing. compare new cable first to make sure ends are right. i had wrong one and luckily had other vehicle to drive.

what should i remember about the bushings, clips and routing? (sorry, i'm new at working on cars)

I think he just meant where they all go and the order they are in. Take your time and lay things out as you remove them, build a little 'model' of stuff as you go so that you can keep it all straight. That'll help you to go backwards and rebuild it all too. I've even drawn little pics with a sharpie on cardboard and put bolts through the cardboard to keep complicated stuff sorted out.

Pulling the drivers seat makes working under the dash so much easier......

Proper routing of the cable on the engine side of the firewall is critical. Take pics, jot down notes, what have you, to insure that you get it routed right.

In the engine bay, first try pulling the dust boot away from the cable sheeth and use a few drops of light machine oil on the cable. Then use some compressed air to force the oil down inside the cable sheeth. Having someone else in between air blasts slowly work the clutch at the same time also helps. Keep the new cable for a spare.

Your clutch cable probably has some good life left in it, but might have got a bit of grit inside.