Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Caliper pins "sliders" stuck help!

I cant seem to get the damn bottom slider pin out. I've tried hammers, heat, wrenches and all it will do is spin now. I was just going to get a new caliper support bracket but after my last post seems this is a common problem. So I'm hoping for a common solution. FYI 97 Leg 14 inch wheels.

Unfortunately I don't think any tapping is going to work. I put a wood block up against it and pounded away and nothing. Ive already burn the boot off so I'll end up getting new pin and boot. So I'm not looking to be nice I just need it out.

In a real pinch I've removed the caliper bracket and used a drill press to drill a hole through to the back side of the slider pin hole. then you can whack the slider pin out with a punch through said hole.

If you do this, use lots of cutting oil on the drill bit.

I did this as a TEMPORARY solution until a replacement bracket could be found. I am unsure of the longterm safety of a modified caliper backet. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

i would just get a new bracket, used even better.

don't really think the slide pins are normally a replaceable alone, meaning you are not going to simply remove it anyhow. They aren't threaded in if that is what you think. Its a press fit not to be removed

i would just get a new bracket, used even better.

don't really think the slide pins are normally a replaceable alone, meaning you are not going to simply remove it anyhow. They aren't threaded in if that is what you think. Its a press fit not to be removed

the slide pins in a 96 leg L are threaded, one threaded pin one bolt. the pin has flat spots on it for a wrench. i can't remember if it's front or rear, but the fronts would be different than outback. i'm surprised they don't thread in.

The pins can be purchased with the boots and o ring separately as a repair kit. I had to buy new brackets. About $75 each as I recall.

A parts guy at a local Car Quest said packed calipers have the bracket included. This might be a good way to go.

A parts guy at a local Car Quest said packed calipers have the bracket included. This might be a good way to go.

The guy could have been wrong. Or you guys could get a better supplier out there.

All the *loaded* calipers I've seen for purchase DO NOT have the bracket, it is the Caliper only. (including from my local Car Quest) Just a FYI

Anyhow, Glad to hear that it is fixed. Junkyard is a perfect solution in some cases.