Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Murphy is Sick! Starts But Won't Run.

Murphy, the $500 87 Turbo Wag is sick.

Here's the mystery. Today I drove to Madera, 20 miles from Fresno, to pay for a speeding ticket. Murph ran just fine on the way up. When I got all done and the court drained my wallet, I went to start Murph, and after turning over, it died.

It starts, but even if I punch the gass, it just won't keep running.

The fuel filter is about a year old, so I don't think that's the problem. Plus the fact that it died so suddenly.

In the past few months, I have had a little quirck where, on hard acceleration, Murph would have the ocasion to misfire. But it hardly ever happened, and if it did, it was almost always when the engine was cool, so it was difficult to find the problem.

I'm not getting any codes.

Any ideas?

PS. I'm going to connect the green connectors and see if this bypass will keep the engine running. If it does, that should give me a clue where to look next.

Edited by Sonicfrog

I always use either Beacon or Arco. And I've been using either 89 or 91 (depending on the budget). Question: if it's the fuel pump, would it have to come from a turbo, or can I use any from the SPFI series?

Got to go work now. Sub'ing for high school math.

I always use either Beacon or Arco. And I've been using either 89 or 91 (depending on the budget). Question: if it's the fuel pump, would it have to come from a turbo, or can I use any from the SPFI series?

A different pump is speced for both, but there is some evidence here on the board that supports the theory either will work. SPFI pump will probably be working a little closer to it's limits, but would be fine.

Also, you could go with the F-150, or 80's LTD pump.

OK. I just tried starting the engine with the green test plugs connected. No difference. I pulled the main disty wire and I have a nice bright purple spark. Don't know if it means anything, but the fuel mix smells rich to me. I looked to make sure that there are no fuel leaks anywhere. I see nothing.

I had a long day at work and didn't get around to doing much diagnostics. Will be back at it tomorrow, provided I have time.

Well if it starts up fine and only runs for a couple seconds and then dies it sounds to me that the fuel pump is being shut down for some reason. Check the ECU for error codes. As a test, you might also try bypassing power to the pump to see if that keeps it running.