Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm confussed.....EJ18 Timing Belt

OK....here's the deal...I've done a ton of these....but this one has me confused... I was re-sealing the motor today, and replacing the timing belt water pump....well, I disassembled it and notice the Crank gear was 180 out when I lined up the cam marks (before I removed the old belt....didn't think too much about it) When I put it back on I installed it with all the marks in thier correct place, matched to the marks on the new belt (which ment I had to spin the CRANK 180 degrees to make it line up)...it won't start, but was running fine before I removed the old belt.... So after giving it some thought, there should be NO WAY the CRANK mark can be out 180, as it goes around twice for every rotation of th ecams, so the CAMS can be 180 out form the crank, but EVERY time the Cam marks are up, the Crank mark should be up too.....so how was this motor running with the CRANK mark 180 off....I'm really stumped on this one... (And yes, I know you use the mark on the pick-up tooth on the back of the crank sprocket ) I guess I'm going to have to try installing it with the Crank Sprocket 180 off, but there is no mart to line it up to that way, so it will be a "close Guess"....anyone got anything better....

i assume the crank sprocket does in fact have the key in the key way, sprocket on correctly?

what would happen if the camshafts were put on the wrong heads??

if the crank sprocket is 180 off, the keyway will be straight up, i think?

Thanks for the quick reply... The Crank does have th ekeyway in it, so there is no way to put it on wrong.... And the left cam gear has the tabs on the bak of it for the cam position sensor, so it won't run at all if they a=re on the wrong head (i just pulled them off to make sure they were on the correct side, and they are) And yes, with the crank 180 off, the keyway points straight up.... I took the crank sprocket off and painted the tab on the back that is 180 out from the correct mark, and put the belt on that way...still no start...I'm completely lost on this one.... I've never had this much trouble with an EJ t-Belt before....

I would suggest that the cam and crank marks should be lined up "per the book." In other words, no 180 out.

Then look elsewhere for the non-start problem. Retrace your steps as you removed the old belt. Did you disconnect or unplug anything? Cam and crank sensors properly in place?

Good luck and let us know how it progresses!

I would suggest that the cam and crank marks should be lined up "per the book." In other words, no 180 out.

Then look elsewhere for the non-start problem. Retrace your steps as you removed the old belt. Did you disconnect or unplug anything? Cam and crank sensors properly in place?

Good luck and let us know how it progresses!

I have tried it "by the book" did that first....And yes, I had several things un-hooked (actually I tryed to start it the first time without the MAF hooked up (DOH!) but it still wouldn't stat after I hooked it up. I had the folloswing un-hooked: MAF Cam Pos. Sensor Plug Wires Radiator fans All of which are hooked back up. (except the fans, as I haven't put the radiator back in yet, want to hear it run first) I just Changed the water pump New OEM Thermostat Valve cover gaskets Spark Plugs Timing belt Timing belt pulleys Cleaned everything up before re-installing it....should have been done hours ago......grrr......this has killed my whole saturday......and it's Still not running....

OK, IT's now running..... I had the timing belt on and off about 8 times, trying both the"By the book" and with the Crank 180 out.... It would crank over fine, either way. What seemed to fix it was I pulled out the Crank Position Sensor.....cleaned it off, re-installed it, and then it fired right up....go figure....AS I hadn't even touched the CPS up till that point.... I'm just glad it's back up and running.....and it is timed "By the book"