Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yep...she's hot to trot. Question is, will an impeded heater core cause an overheat situation, or will it just cause cold air to blow into the cabin?:-\

You don't wanna know the rest, but if anyone has any thoughts on this part of the story I'd be grateful.

Thx tons-

kudd

So, you say I can rule out heater core as a cause of engine overheating which is as I was suspecting.

That brings me to radiator, as it's the only thing left that didn't get swapped when the 2.5L came out and the 2.2L went in. Everything else connected to cooling that I can think of was exchanged with the engines. I rinsed and flushed the radiator and it seemed to pass water quite nicely..... but still she overheats so it gets swapped tomorrow and we see if that stops the hot flashes.

Thx folks!

So, you say I can rule out heater core as a cause of engine overheating which is as I was suspecting.

That brings me to radiator, as it's the only thing left that didn't get swapped when the 2.5L came out and the 2.2L went in. Everything else connected to cooling that I can think of was exchanged with the engines. I rinsed and flushed the radiator and it seemed to pass water quite nicely..... but still she overheats so it gets swapped tomorrow and we see if that stops the hot flashes.

Thx folks!

I hate to say it, but 2.2s can blow headgaskets as well. Happening more and more all the time.

good news is that 2.2 HGs are super easy to do in the car.

The "proper burping" is an interesting term. We filled top radiator hose, then put on radiator, filled radiator from both sides ( cap and vent hole) ran to temp ( 10 minutes idle, then 5 mile ride) and then topped off with maybe 1/2 a cup.

Next day, drove 20 miles at 60 in 3rd gear (3800rpm =/-)... temp guage started to rise after 20 miles, air in cabin started blowing cold, pulled off road and gauge went back down, air blew hot. I continued 10 more miles to work. Checked lower radiator hose and it was cold, after 30 miles. Once cooled, radiator took less than 1/4 cup. Expansion tank was at it's full line level.

Drove home the 30 miles that afternoon, put it in 3rd for last 12 miles to bhring rpm up, plus detour up a steep hill just for grins and sure enough, guage started climbing when I pulled into my driveway. Bottom hose was cold again, but cabin air stayed hot this time. Expansion tank was 2" from overflowing. Later when cool, expansion tank is back down to full line, and radiator took maybe a tablespoon.

Anyhow, would all of that constitute a "proper burping"? Or is there some technique I'm not aware of?

T-stat is a new OEM. I have heard that the little air vent in the flange should be near the heater hose connection on the water pump. I didn't pay attention to that when I installed, not thinking that it mattered. I plan to check that when swapping radiator this afternoon and rotate it if I can.

Cap did not occur to me. It does hold pressure I know.

Of course if I swap radiators, adjust t-stat position, and swap caps....and it stops overheating I won't know which one did it...but I won't care!

And yeah...we did the head gaskets on Sunday....

For my curiosity, which way does the coolant flow? Into top of radiator and out the bottom? Or in the bottom and out the top?

Thx gang. I'll keep you posted, and I am curiuos about what more can be done to get the air out of the system.

never fill any car engine with the car not running. Thats basically been the rule since there have been water pumps, but no one follows it. People are jusat used to have very forgiving cooling system designs for the most part.

I have used this as long as I've worked on cars and only once did i have a problem.

With an empty radtiator make sure the bleed screw is oopen (if so equiped).

Start the car.

SLOWLY fill the radiator with coolant (premix just makes life easier).

Once the radiator is filled wait for the thermostat to open. There will be a surge of fluid out the radiator.

Top off the radiator.

Fill the overflow tank to the hot line.

Put cap on the Radiator, close the bleed valve and drive around the block, watch the temp gauge.

Park the car and allow it to cool off.

Check coolant levle, top off as needed and repeat.

Do this on level ground or car pointing uphill, never downhill.

nipper