Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Washer Problem - 2000 Forester

My rear window washer is not working properly on my 2000 Forester. The fluid comes out of one side; the other side appears to be clogged.

This happened during the winter and I thought one side was frozen. Then it started working again so I just left it alone. Now the problem is back. Washer fluid is in the system now and has been used all last fall and this past winter. The fluid bottle almost full. :eek:

Any ideas how the nozzle part comes off or what might be causing the problem. :headbang:

HELP !

~Howard

:banana:

Edited by howards11

Howard,

You might be able to clear the clog using a small strand of wire and pushing it into the hole. Using some compressed air may work also.

COUGAR:

Not a bad idea. I'll give it a try later this week when the weather is warmer and dry.

Small strand of wire ? Do you think a twist tie would work ? :-\

I think I have some compressed air around here somewhere.

~Howard

I had similiar problem on a VW some time back. I used a straight pin, the kind you get with a new dress shirt. It is smaller diameter then a safety pin, and is just the right size to insert into the washer squiter outlet to loosen up any crud that has built up. Just my 2 cents worth!

Guest blondy

i used a pin and got someone to squirt the squirter from in the car at the same time so any junk clogging it would get blasted out and not pushed back in, just to clog up the squirter again.

Also, a slimy crud can also develop in the bottom of the fluid bottle that you may like to clean out which can also send junk down the lines and clog up the squirter's...hate to see you get the Squirter all cleaned out just to get clogged up yet again due to the stuff in the bottle.

wow...i've never said squirt so much before..hehe

Guest blondy

Personally i wouldn't, cos i wouldn't want to get all the oily residue on my window after it sprays the stuff back out again that you just sprayed into it and then onto your window.

but thats just me...i would rather go to the extra effort and do it the manual way or even try to unplg the hose off of the back and blow the nozzel out.

I have also been told that if you put luke warm water in the bottle so that your running luke warm water through the whole water system, it can dislodge whatever is causing the blockage...but you gotta be careful that its not too hot, since you can pop off hoses if it is.

Personally i wouldn't, cos i wouldn't want to get all the oily residue on my window after it sprays the stuff back out again that you just sprayed into it and then onto your window.

but thats just me...i would rather go to the extra effort and do it the manual way or even try to unplg the hose off of the back and blow the nozzel out.

I have also been told that if you put luke warm water in the bottle so that your running luke warm water through the whole water system, it can dislodge whatever is causing the blockage...but you gotta be careful that its not too hot, since you can pop off hoses if it is.

BLONDY:

Makes sense to me. I'll try some compressed air and the pin.

How do you get the nozzle off ?

~Howard

Guest blondy

i would probably first try the pin trick while you get someone to squirt the squirters at the same time...it's the easiest and seems to work most of the time.

Failing that i would then try to use a small amount of pressure from compressed air, so that you don't pop anything and shoot the air from behind the blocked nozzle...the same way the water travels to get out so that you don't push it back into the system just to get clogged again.

How you do the compressed air version...well this is where my knowledge starts to run out...i only went to attempt this on my old 2002 astra and it was on the front nozzles...but i never got the chance to do it since the car got written off....not by anything stupid on my behalf though.

Seeing its a wagon...if you have a gander at the back when the doors open you might be able to see a hose leading to where the squirter is...if your lucky you might be able to find a way there some how to unclip and get into it to be able to run some air through it? I know by memory mine has about 3 different pipes that lead into the back lift up door.

Best bet is to just have an investigation session and see what you can fathern out, i haven't needed to fix anything at that end yet, i'm at the front end teaching myself how to get the front bumper off at the moment. But some one else might be able to chime in about now and tell us both...

Goodluck

I spoke too soon. I tried the rear washer this morning and it was clogged again! :eek:

I kept running the rear washer and it seemed to have cleared the clog.

Over the weekend I'm going to try the pin and some compressed air to make sure everything is cleaned out.

~Howard

Guest blondy

Your not shooting the compressed air from the front of the squirter and pushing the rubbish back down the hose?

Cos your probably just moving the gunk back and forth since it's too big to fit out the small hole in the nozzle???

Your not shooting the compressed air from the front of the squirter and pushing the rubbish back down the hose?

Cos your probably just moving the gunk back and forth since it's too big to fit out the small hole in the nozzle???

Can someone please tell me how to get the nozzle off ? Or how I would blow some compressed air from the front of the nozzle ?

~Howard

:eek:

In order to get the nozzle off I think you would have to get at it from the back side. You would have to tear into the inside trim and that might get a bit involved. You might try disconnecting the tube at other end near the pump and let the fluid drain out. Hopefully the debris will come out with it.

• 5 months later...

Sorry, i've never had to take it off yet...plus mines an outback...so don't know if mine is setup the same as the foresters.

I can only suggest taking pieces off near the nozzle one by one and follow your nose until it looks like your getting somewhere.

Wish i could be more helpful but i haven't had to do that kind of investigating yet...

This is text from the FSM for a 2002 Forester. Your car may or may not be similar (there is also a sketch of the nozzle, but I know not how to post it):

11. Rear Washer Nozzle

S902789

A: REMOVAL

S902789A18

1) Remove the high-mount stop light. <Ref. to

LI-23, REMOVAL, High-mount Stop Light.>

2) Remove the washer hose from the washer

nozzle.

3) Open the clips on the underside of the hood

with a thin screwdriver or other tool, and remove

the washer nozzle.